Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many military history books do you own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many military history books do you own?

I am curious. I buy books at the local Chapters Bargain bin and was able to get three more yesterday at 80% off much to my wife's chagrin. So I thought about a poll. Just how many books on military history do you own? Want to know if it is only me or do others have the same "need" to buy ever more books.
    1 to 10
    4.48%
    11 to 20
    10.45%
    21 to 30
    7.46%
    31 to 40
    2.99%
    41 to 50
    5.97%
    51 to 60
    1.49%
    61 to 70
    4.48%
    71 to 80
    1.49%
    81 to 90
    0.00%
    91 +
    61.19%
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Hmmmm

How many books can you fit in a 6' bookcase ??

I have 3 full bookcases with a fourth one started just recently.

Think I have a problem ??
    Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

I stopped counting at 1000. The wife gave up complaining about them well before that. All you have to do is keep buying them until you have so many that it becomes impossible to notice that you just got another one.

Others have found the following approach helpful.

Hubby on cell phone: Honey, I saw a new book today at Borders by <insert well known historian> but I decided to pass on it ... books are getting so expensive.

Wife: Good for you. We have so many books.

Hubby: Thanks. Since I don't have anything else to do this evening, I think I'll drop by the Badda Bing and have a drink with the guys. Joe called me earlier about maybe a poker game afterwards at Bill's. Don't wait up.

Wife: Hmmmmm ....
      Best regards, Major H
      [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by MajorH
        I stopped counting at 1000. The wife gave up complaining about them well before that. All you have to do is keep buying them until you have so many that it becomes impossible to notice that you just got another one.

Others have found the following approach helpful.

Hubby on cell phone: Honey, I saw a new book today at Borders by <insert well known historian> but I decided to pass on it ... books are getting so expensive.

Wife: Good for you. We have so many books.

Hubby: Thanks. Since I don't have anything else to do this evening, I think I'll drop by the Badda Bing and have a drink with the guys. Joe called me earlier about maybe a poker game afterwards at Bill's. Don't wait up.

Wife: Hmmmmm ....
        Here I was thinking I was doing good until I read the Major's post. I do like the strategy of having so many that another added to the pile won't be noticed. I guess if my book buying wasn't divided 3 ways between computer, military history, and chess I would fare much better in the poll. I did manage to add a book about the Franco-Prussian war to my collection that was published in 1871. I guess I need to start focusing my efforts.
        "When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches." - Admiral King

Comment

I think you may have to change the collection totals for your poll. I stopped counting at 5,000 eight years ago.
          Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong
            I think you may have to change the collection totals for your poll. I stopped counting at 5,000 eight years ago.
            Well,....I'm well into the many hundreds after all these years and doubt I will ever stop. I've read 13 so far this year and will probably finish two more before Christmas.

Hmmmm,...no wonder I babble on and on so much.
            The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Have to admit I cheat since alot of mine are PDF files. I still have 2 bookcases full of modeling/wargaming/history books. "Reference" material is what I tell the wife .
              If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

I have never found any need to "stop" buying more books on Military History, apart from structural constraints on storing them!

I agree with R.N. Armstrong, "91+" mereley covers a sub-section!

If you take in .pdfs as freightshaker suggests, can we have a selection running into TB?
                Andy "Weeble" Weaver

Research, Reference and Historical Study

Illud Latine dici non potest

Comment

Originally posted by The Purist
                  Well,....I'm well into the many hundreds after all these years and doubt I will ever stop. I've read 13 so far this year and will probably finish two more before Christmas.

Hmmmm,...no wonder I babble on and on so much.
                  Cannot stop, it's habit forming(bibliophile?). Read from 1 to 2.5 books a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Weeble
                    I have never found any need to "stop" buying more books on Military History, apart from structural constraints on storing them!

I agree with R.N. Armstrong, "91+" mereley covers a sub-section!

If you take in .pdfs as freightshaker suggests, can we have a selection running into TB?
                    I did not count journals, .pdfs, or vertical files. Those are measured by linear feet--36. I live in a library with the house attached--very understanding wife.

Comment

5,000 books????? Holy [email protected]#!!!!!!!!! So I will use you Guys to justify to my wife that I need way more books than I have.

Comment

I have maybe about 100 per book case in my little computer nook ... I have 6 book cases in here ... I have a stack of about 25 or so in the bedroom -- because I have some bright idea about categorizing the for the WTTA area ... A heck - I dunno - maybe close to a thousand - not sure - never counted them...

Come to think of it - I think I have gone to the store and left with about 15 on a few occasions ( granted they were used books - but they still count)

Comment

Shelf space is the biggest problem I have here. Hence many of my books are in my parent's attic. Hence I only have just over a hundred here, mostly on WW2.

I do habitually trawl second-hand bookshops, charity shops and those 'Publisher Outlets' that sell off remaindered items and rarely pay anything like full price for my books.
                          Signing out.

Comment

If it's anything like Canada, the price of new books is getting pretty expensive. I strive for the Chapter's bargain bins.

Comment

Originally posted by dannybou
                              I am curious. I buy books at the local Chapters Bargain bin and was able to get three more yesterday at 80% off much to my wife's chagrin. So I thought about a poll. Just how many books on military history do you own? Want to know if it is only me or do others have the same "need" to buy ever more books.
                              I'm surprized and relieved at how many people collect so many history books, with a focus on military history. In my small little quarter of the universe, other than my friends who also happen to be teachers and possible gamers, very few people I come in contact with own many books. There isn't a line of sight anywhere in my house or garage, that doesn't have a stack of books. Use my bathroom it's like a mini library. I'm not a tool guy. The only thing I can really fix is a drink. The walls in my garage are shelves of books. Some of my neighbors think I'm a nerd, and I think evil thoughts about them. Years ago, I used to fling shovel fulls of petrified dog fun over the fence to hold them accountable for their loutish behavior....
                              Slug
                              "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X