Presently reading...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presently reading...

Winston Churchill's Second World War 2! I'm on volume two and I love his writing, but this is epic work in terms of size! I've never read Winston before...

They say it's biased, oh well, whose autobiography wouldn't be?

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

When asked how to excel at writing history, Churchill once replied, "Read Kinglake".
    Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Churchill is quoted in many places as saying "History will be kind to me as I intend to write it" but no specific source is provided - this is because there is no verifiable record of him ever saying it - what he actually said was "For my part, I consider that it will be found much better by all Parties to leave the past to history, especially as I propose to write that history" Hansard January 23, 1948. But essentially that is what he meant. In his history of WW2 he has been kind to himself and it should be read bearing that in mind - he was never a completely impartial author (so for example whilst his biography of the Duke of Marlborough is a great work, Marlborough was John Churchill his direct ancestor and it's not a 'warts and all' portrait). His wartime history is probably the truth and nothing but the truth but it is not necessarily always the whole truth. It is however very well written and worth the read and is far more honest than Lloyd George's WW1 memoirs
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
        Churchill is quoted in many places as saying "History will be kind to me as I intend to write it" but no specific source is provided - this is because there is no verifiable record of him ever saying it - what he actually said was "For my part, I consider that it will be found much better by all Parties to leave the past to history, especially as I propose to write that history" Hansard January 23, 1948. But essentially that is what he meant. In his history of WW2 he has been kind to himself and it should be read bearing that in mind - he was never a completely impartial author (so for example whilst his biography of the Duke of Marlborough is a great work, Marlborough was John Churchill his direct ancestor and it's not a 'warts and all' portrait). His wartime history is probably the truth and nothing but the truth but it is not necessarily always the whole truth. It is however very well written and worth the read and is far more honest than Lloyd George's WW1 memoirs
        Well said.

Comment

Reading currently

The Deep State

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X