Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir Alistair Horne historian dead at 91

Alistair Horne

He died on May 25th, 2017 at age 91. His book " To Lose a Battle: France 1940" was one of the first "serious" history books I read and his book on Verdun, The Price of Glory, is still one of the central references in English.
    A great writer and historian.

May he rest in peace.
    "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

Originally posted by CarpeDiem View Post
      Alistair Horne

He died on May 25th, 2017 at age 91. His book " To Lose a Battle: France 1940" was one of the first "serious" history books I read and his book on Verdun, The Price of Glory, is still one of the central references in English.
      A great writer and historian.

Agree, and I would add his "A Savage War of Peace". The book world always seems a little emptier when such a historian moves on.
      Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

I very much enjoyed his 'How Far From Austerlitz'

R.I.P Alistair!

Paul
        ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
        All human ills he can subdue,
        Or with a bauble or medal
        Can win mans heart for you;
        And many a blessing know to stew
        To make a megloamaniac bright;
        Give honour to the dainty Corse,
        The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

major dittos to all previous posts.
          I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

Having completed a MA in WW1 am about to start one on WW2 in September and To loose a Battle is one of the foundation books I have just acquired.
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
              Having completed a MA in WW1 am about to start one on WW2 in September and To loose a Battle is one of the foundation books I have just acquired.
              I think you would enjoy Marc Bloch's Strange Defeat.

Comment

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
                I think you would enjoy Marc Bloch's Strange Defeat.
                I assume that he was related to the Bloch who ran the aircraft company Bloch and was also in the resistance using the pseudonym Dassault by which name the company is known to this day?
                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                  I assume that he was related to the Bloch who ran the aircraft company Bloch and was also in the resistance using the pseudonym Dassault by which name the company is known to this day?
                  If related, too distant for my knowledge. He was a Middles Ages historian, a reserve intelligence officer called to active duty for the invasion of France. He used his powers of observation of the French command. His salient conclusions were French command was too 'inelastic' to deal with the change in warfare and they could not cope with the speed of the German operations. After the defeat, he joined the resistance, caught and executed.

Comment

Author of a couple of the most readable books on (French) (military) history.

No more new books penned by him to look forward to. The world looks emptier indeed.
                    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X