Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's all list five less well known books we've enjoyed!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's all list five less well known books we've enjoyed!

Lets all come with a list of lesser known book recommendations. Some of my authors are quite well known, but the books I am picking are some of their lesser known works.

I hope that I will see some interesting reading options for myself, and that others will get the same reward.

My 1st pick The Given Day by Dennis Lehane. The Given Day is set in post World War I Boston. The story centers around a family of Boston Cops. The Spanish flu is wrecking havoc. Prohibition is coming into effect. Labor strife is breaking out.

Once an Eagle by Anton Myrer. This story follows a young man who enlists in the U.S. Army pre World War I. He is involved in the U.S. Mexican Expedition of 1916-17. He serves in World War I and earns a commission. His story continues through the lean inter war years, and into World War II and beyond. This book has been on the Commandant's reading list for 1st Lieutenants in the USMC and has been used at West Point in classes.

A Distant Mirror by Barbara Tuchman. Mrs Tuchman was one of he U.S.'s premier historians. She was best known for her "Guns of August" which dealt with the build up to and first month of World War I.

A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century is a non fiction book which centers on the life of Enguerrand de Coucy a noble man who had holdings in both England and France. The 14th century in Europe was a time of great upheaval. With wars, rebellions, plagues, famines and other disasters.

The Fort, by Bernard Cornwell.

Cornwell is best known for his Sharpe series which follows the life and adventures of Richard Sharpe an English soldier in the Napoleonic era. He is a master of the historical novel format.

The Fort is a historical novel that tells the story of the disastrous U.S. Penobscot Expedition.

The British had seized the area during the Revolutionary War. An expedition by the colonials is sent to drive them out. Among the cast of characters on the U.S. side is Paul Revere. Revere is not cast in a positive light in this book. My limited research shows that is well deserved.

For my fifth selection I'll cheat a little, and go with a series versus a single book. The Berrybender Narratives by Larry McMurtry.

Larry McMurtry is the author of Lonesome Dove, the greatest novel about the U.S. Wild West.

The Berrybenders Narratives is a series of four books that follow the travels of an eccentric noble English family the Berrybenders in the U.S. West Pre-Civil War.

I've come up with five books. If you want to just list two or three that would be great. If you can't limit it to 5 and have to give us a few extra that would be great!
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
    Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

haha --I can't think of them now--not well known
    o yes, Into the Valley by John Hersey--great book on small unit action --on the Canal-Guadalcanal--is this book not well known?
    and Bloody Clash at Sadzot -- Battle of the Bulge
    5 books? I'll need more time to think about that

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
    X