Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book recommendations for North African/Italian Campaign

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any recommendations for books on the North African or Italian Campaign in WW2? Again, I would like preferably a British perspective.

If anyone has any good recommendations for El Alamein and Monte Cassino, that would be good too.

"Cassino: The Hollow Victory: The Battle for Rome, January-June 1944" by John Ellis

"Alamein" by Jon Latimer

"The Desert Generals", by Correlli Barnett
    Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Definitely NOT 'The Desert Generals'

Barrie Pitts 'Crucible of War' is a nice narrative history.

The Official Histories are very good, though of course dry. Two from the NA Campaign are available here http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/UK/

Comment

For an American prospective, An Army at Dawn Rick Atkinson.

It looks at the U.S. Army in its first major offensive action of the war in North Africa.
        Last edited by 17thfabn; 10 Dec 16, 20:37.
        "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
        Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Rick Atkinson does a quite nice job on the US Army in North Africa, Sicily and in Italy. I have read many books on the British Army in North Africa. I even read several tomes on Montgomery. I can't recall any that covered all three for the British. First off, you have to include the sideshows like Greece, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq and Iran. There was also fighting in East Africa. This would suggest several volumes to do justice to the subject.

The African Divisions raised from the Kings African Rifles are an interesting read. The South Africans would also make a good read.

Everyone has heard of the British 8th Army but how many have heard of the British 9th and 10th Armies?

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Mr. Atkins follows up "An Army at Dawn" with "The Day of Battle" that follows the U.S. Army into Sicily and Italy.
            "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
            Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

The Desert War Then and Now

A bit pricey though you can find cheaper copies floating around. Still at 592 pages some amazing images and the text accompaning it is superlative. The section on German transhipping of supplies and harbour operations was worth the price for me alone. Another excellent book from After the Battle.

Comment

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
                "Cassino: The Hollow Victory: The Battle for Rome, January-June 1944" by John Ellis
                Sconded .
                Easily the best book on Monte Cassino I've ever read.
                How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

I'm reading Atkinson's, " An Army At Dawn" right now, fascinating, it covers all the political factions, the Americans getting their feet wet on the fly, Brits certainly more seasoned, great stuff.

Comment

Barrie Pittīs 3 volumes for starters.

At page 68 of of "Pendulum of War - the three battes of EL ALAMEIN" by Niall Barr (maybe an old recommendation from Full Monty). Looks very interesting. Big emphasis on logistics and underlines just how much vital kit and stores the British lost in the series of evacuations/retreats that began with Dunkirk up to June 1942 in the Western Desert.

Comment

For tactical details, History of the 10.Panzer Division had good coverage.
                      Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
                      Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
                      Barbarossa Derailed I & II
                      Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Comment

A good starting point and an overview of the entire war in the Med would Douglas Porch's The Path to Victory: The Mediterranean Theater in World War II. Very readable but as I said, an overview.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Osprey has a number of books on this subject. You may want to try the Warrior series and Campaign and their new Combat series.

Comment

A classic "Take these men" by Cyril Jolly tells you what it was like to be in a tank in the Western Desert
                            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Merkava188 View Post
                              Osprey has a number of books on this subject. You may want to try the Warrior series and Campaign and their new Combat series.
                              Not all Osprey books are equal. I prefer to thumb through them at a bookstore before I order them online. Sometimes the older publications are the best,

Pruitt
                              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X