Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for a book on the Fall of France 1940

Hi,

Can anyone recommend me a book that covers the Fall of France in 1940? Although I want a mostly British perspective, I want the whole picture with everything that was going on with the French Army as well.

My top three favorites are:

Marc Bloch, Strange Defeat
    Alistair Horne, To Lose a battle
    Karl-Heinz Frieser, The Blitzkrieg Legend

Others:
    Robert Doughty, The Seeds Of Disaster: The Development of French army Doctrine 1919-1939

Robert Doughty, The Breaking Point: Sedan and Fall of France 1940

Ernest R. May, Strange Victory
    Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanbridge View Post
      Hi,

Can anyone recommend me a book that covers the Fall of France in 1940? Although I want a mostly British perspective, I want the whole picture with everything that was going on with the French Army as well.
      There are many but I recommend James Hollands 'The War in the West,Germany Ascendant 1939-1941', it is part 1 of a trilogy covering the whole war.

It covers a year either side of 1940 and puts the French debacle in context.

It's also a thoroughly enjoyable read!

Comment

On the air war side.
        http://www.livre-aviation.com/LA-DEB...1400_1402.html
        That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post

Others:
          Robert Doughty, The Seeds Of Disaster: The Development of French army Doctrine 1919-1939

Good selections.

I'd add that if one really wants to understand why the blitzkrieg became legend after causing an apparently strange victory, the reasons underlying the development of French Army doctrine during 1919-1939, and thus why it wasn't really a strange defeat, one must read:

Eugenia Kiesling, Arming against Hitler: France and the Limits of Military Planning.

Comment

Thanks guys! I think I'll try To Lose A Battle first. For those who have read it, are there anecdotes and that sort of thing from troops in the field or is a great deal of it just from the bigger picture?

I just read Crete:The Battle and the Resistance by Beevor and I liked the mix of anecdotes he thrown in there.
            Last edited by Swanbridge; 12 Jul 16, 01:22.

Comment

Horne's narrative history of the invasion is formed around officers and units with some anecdotal insertions from company grade (Lt's and CPT's) officers. But, I think you will find it engaging.
              Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

I know it ain't no book , but since i am french and that my great father fought during 1940 , let me share with you a vid from youtube.
                I found the title a bit too caricatural , but i have great respect for this amateur's work ,and beyond that ,for the tribute made to these unsung heros.

That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Reading for Excellence

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post

Others:

@ Swanbridge,

This is Rick at his best.
                  When he recommends book, stop what you're doing, listen and read what he tells you to.

As you seem to love anecdotes:
                  In the General Command & Staff Course there used to be a program: 'Reading for Excellence'. Rick would be very good at filling its curriculum.
                  BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X