Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So since ACG is not published anymore...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So since ACG is not published anymore...

...What publications have you been reading?

I do miss the ACG magazine format.

I find that I am not attracted by the other World History Group magazines.

My go-to military history magazines are now:

Modern War
    Batailles et Blindes (French mag)
    Guerre et Histoire (French mag)

You can also catch me browsing at the magazine store through Soldier of Fortune (!!!) and Legion magazine (Canadian vet publication supported by the Royal Canadian Legion)

Many years ago, there used to be a magazine called Command that also unfortunately disappeared...

I was considering Playboy because I hear they have good articles, but was informed by someone in the loop that there has been dramatic changes.
    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Since we were offered a roll-over to the other publications, I've kept with Military History and WWII History - both from our sponsor here; World History Group.

Neither is quite as engaging as ACG was, and I do miss it. I especially enjoyed the 'you command' 'what would you do' sort of articles/contests. These not only engaged the gray cells more, but encouraged doing some research into the situations presented.

TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

I miss writing the "What Next General". ACG had accepted but closed before publication, was Model's courses of action for Ninth Army offensive on the northern face of Kursk. I also had gathered the material and researching to do Coral Sea.
        Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 03 Jul 16, 06:17.
        Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
          I miss writing the "What Next General". ACG had accepted but closed before publication, was Model's courses of action for Ninth Army offensive on the northern face of Kursk. I also had gather the material and researching to do Coral Sea.
          You did excellent work on those. At times I was envious. I really miss that aspect of the ACG mag, and your work in that regard set the standard, I think. FWIW.

Any chance of these becoming occasional or regular features in other mags put out by WHG?

I can see where they would help fill and expand scope and interest in at least "Military History" and "WWII History".

Comment

I miss writing the "What Next General". ACG had accepted but closed before publication, was Model's courses of action for Ninth Army offensive on the northern face of Kursk. I also had gather the material and researching to do Coral Sea.
            Write for us. We are still here.
            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
              Totally Agree

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                Sounds like maybe we need a "thread" somewhere for such to be presented?

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
                  You did excellent work on those. At times I was envious. I really miss that aspect of the ACG mag, and your work in that regard set the standard, I think. FWIW.

Any chance of these becoming occasional or regular features in other mags put out by WHG?

I can see where they would help fill and expand scope and interest in at least "Military History" and "WWII History".
                  I spent a career working out courses of action for war councils and commanders from division to army group levels. Hence, in research I could find one or two alternative courses to the historical decision that were actually considered. If I could not find one or two alternatives, then I worked the situation as I had in the past to develop realistic, doable alternatives.

The What Next General articles do, although I consider it realistic war council work, wander into the "academic" category of alternative history which the other WHG mags do not do. I have not pursued the other mags because 1) it is hard to break into their core of writers and 2) their renumeration is less than I was receiving at ACG.

You can probably see from my postings here that I have a penchant to look at commanders and their traits, decisions, tactical/operational actions as well as the human side of war.
                  Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 03 Jul 16, 06:58.

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
                    Sounds like maybe we need a "thread" somewhere for such to be presented?
                    IMO, it would be quite doable. It would be a matter of picking a battle/operation and commander. Identify the historical course of action. Research the situation then contributors could offer one or two alternative courses of action. In the article, the courses of action statements, like a mission statement, each course was less than 100 words [the fog of war should not start with the mission statement ]. Then discussion could address the various courses of action. In several articles I offered a better COA than the historical such as one that won or one with less casualties or greater gains.

Structure and managing such an approach would need some considerations mainly in timeline/deadline for COA selection then discussion and when to move onto selecting another battle.

Comment

The periodicals I read on a regular basis
                      are BBC History, Britain at War, Journal of Military History, Canadian Military History and British Journal for Military History

Comment

.... If I could not find one or two alternatives, then I worked the situation as I had in the past to develop realistic, doable alternatives.

That is one(of many) things I appreciated about your articles. Often these were battles/campaigns I haven't studied much and your developing alternatives not in the usual history of such events were enlightening as to alternatives in history that sometimes aren't readily apparent, especially at the time it is happening.

Again, excellent work and hopefully we can see more of it sometime, somewhere.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X