Churchill biography?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Churchill biography?

I have been intrigued by Churchill for years now and am looking for a biography...but not too long. I see a bunch that are 1000 pages or more and that is just not for me. I'll be pulled away by the desire to read something else. Any recommendations for a good, accurate bio around 500 pages? Thanks.
    John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

That would skim his life rather badly. Knuckle down and do the work if you want a full picture.

(He's my second favorite politician, btw, after FDR.)
    Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
    Hyperwar, Whats New
    World War II Resources
    The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
      That would skim his life rather badly. Knuckle down and do the work if you want a full picture.
      I agree - a bit like looking for the Ladybird Book of Churchill, Winston for Dummies or Bluffers Guide to WSC. Even the books I have on his period in the Cabinet up to 1919 are more than 500 pages. He did so much and love him or loathe him there were so many facets to the man and so many different interpretations of his actions, motives, successes and failures.
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post

(He's my second favorite politician, btw, after FDR.)
        If I am looking for advice on what I should or shouldn't do, reading or otherwise, rest assured I will call on you. We all know this man was great and led a hell of a life but biographies can be done in 500-600 pages.
        John

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post
          If I am looking for advice on what I should or shouldn't do, reading or otherwise, rest assured I will call on you. We all know this man was great and led a hell of a life but biographies can be done in 500-600 pages.
          When I was fourteen I started reading the forty volume "Congressional Hearings into the Pearl Harbor Attack." Only took four years.

Differences in perspective, I guess.
          Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
          Hyperwar, Whats New
          World War II Resources
          The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Well if advice is what you truly want my advice is not to waste time on a 5-600 page Churchill biography. No not every one can be dealt with in a Readers Digest pap manner.
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

If an entertaining, easy-to-read biography is required, I can recommendThe Churchill Factor, by Boris Johnson. The only argument I have with it is that it is supremely over-sympathetic.It's certainly not a "warts -and- all" effort.

Here's the Amazon blurb about the book:

"From London’s inimitable mayor, Boris Johnson, the story of how Churchill’s eccentric genius shaped not only his world but our own.

On the fiftieth anniversary of Churchill’s death, Boris Johnson celebrates the singular brilliance of one of the most important leaders of the twentieth century. Taking on the myths and misconceptions along with the outsized reality, he portrays—with characteristic wit and passion—a man of contagious bravery, breathtaking eloquence, matchless strategizing, and deep humanity.
              Fearless on the battlefield, Churchill had to be ordered by the king to stay out of action on D-Day; he pioneered aerial bombing and few could match his experience in organizing violence on a colossal scale, yet he hated war and scorned politicians who had not experienced its horrors. He was the most famous journalist of his time and perhaps the greatest orator of all time, despite a lisp and chronic depression he kept at bay by painting. His maneuvering positioned America for entry into World War II, even as it ushered in England’s post-war decline. His openmindedness made him a trailblazer in health care, education, and social welfare, though he remained incorrigibly politically incorrect. Most of all, he was a rebuttal to the idea that history is the story of vast and impersonal forces; he is proof that one person—intrepid, ingenious, determined—can make all the difference".

See what I mean ?
              Last edited by BELGRAVE; 28 Dec 15, 13:53.
              "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
              Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                If an entertaining, easy-to-read biography is required, I can recommendThe Churchill Factor, by Boris Johnson. The only argument I have with it is that it is supremely over-sympathetic.It's certainly not a "warts -and- all" effort.

Here's the Amazon blurb about the book:

"From London’s inimitable mayor, Boris Johnson, the story of how Churchill’s eccentric genius shaped not only his world but our own.

On the fiftieth anniversary of Churchill’s death, Boris Johnson celebrates the singular brilliance of one of the most important leaders of the twentieth century. Taking on the myths and misconceptions along with the outsized reality, he portrays—with characteristic wit and passion—a man of contagious bravery, breathtaking eloquence, matchless strategizing, and deep humanity.
                Fearless on the battlefield, Churchill had to be ordered by the king to stay out of action on D-Day; he pioneered aerial bombing and few could match his experience in organizing violence on a colossal scale, yet he hated war and scorned politicians who had not experienced its horrors. He was the most famous journalist of his time and perhaps the greatest orator of all time, despite a lisp and chronic depression he kept at bay by painting. His maneuvering positioned America for entry into World War II, even as it ushered in England’s post-war decline. His openmindedness made him a trailblazer in health care, education, and social welfare, though he remained incorrigibly politically incorrect. Most of all, he was a rebuttal to the idea that history is the story of vast and impersonal forces; he is proof that one person—intrepid, ingenious, determined—can make all the difference".

See what I mean ?
                Exactly RD style pap. If pap is all you can manage then fine but if one's mind is approaching maturity then read some adult fare.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                  Exactly RD style pap. If pap is all you can manage then fine but if one's mind is approaching maturity then read some adult fare.
                  Well ,aren't we superior ?

What I understood was called for was a Churchill- for- beginers book rather than a learned tome exploring the intimate details of the Churchillian mind.
                  "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                  Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Haffner

Sebastian Haffner's book (192 pages) on Churchill

Prose is so lucid it becomes humorous. My favorite biography for 20 years
                    Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 29 Dec 15, 01:54. Reason: # of pages added
                    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

What I understood was called for was a Churchill- for- beginers book rather than a learned tome exploring the intimate details of the Churchillian mind.
                      The point I made in my first reply but we then got a sniffy response.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                        The point I made in my first reply but we then got a sniffy response.
                        But perhaps the "Readers' Digest" approach might be the way to go, at least initially. If an interest has been kindled,then get beyond the coffee table stuff and do some serious reading.
                        Samuel Johnson.

Comment

You've all been so helpful, thanks. I've done a bit of digging and have narrowed it to two choices. The first is 58 pages so I'm a little reluctant but perhaps there are a lot of pictures? Winston Churchill Biography for Kids (Just the Facts Book 10) Kindle Edition
                          51OJTC8wiZL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
                          The second is only 33 pages so I'm leaning toward that. Winston Churchill: A Very Brief History Kindle Edition . Thoughts?
                          Attached Files
                          John

Comment

The second is only 33 pages so I'm leaning toward that. Winston Churchill: A Very Brief History Kindle Edition . Thoughts?
                            I do not know this particular one but I have good experiences with the "very brief history" series.
                            BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

I think he is evidence that some come to the internet to grab chances to act...well, like he is acting.
                              John

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X