Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    The first one I would recommend is this one. The price is right too...

http://usacac.army.mil/CAC2/cgsc/car...ryinBattle.pdf

The next would be this one:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Maneuv.../dp/0891415327

Another freebe worth reading:

http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Pu...arfighting.pdf

For Clauswitz and Sun Tzu get this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Masters-War-Cl.../dp/0714681326

For an overview this:

http://www.amazon.com/Strategy-Logic.../dp/0674007034
    Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 30 Mar 15, 23:49.

Leave a comment:

• Captain General
    replied
    The Art of War in the Western World by Archer Jones.

I read it a good 25 years ago and it always stuck with me.

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    Are you looking for a more practical application of strategy and tactics or a more academic / theoretical one?

Leave a comment:

• Tanker Dude
    replied
    Vietnam II by CR Ryder

Applies Air Land Battle against Vietnam. Proposes that blitzkrieg style strategy would be successful.

Leave a comment:

• wheelerxx
    replied
    Thx a lot for the feedback! I agree that old books/history are neither bad nor wrong, but we have seen a lot of developments in how wars are fought over the last few decades. Hence the question about a more recent book to also cover these developments.

Parets book definitely looks interesting, and I have added it to my book list.
    Last edited by wheelerxx; 14 Feb 15, 16:54.

Leave a comment:

• R.N. Armstrong
    replied
    Originally posted by wheelerxx View Post
    Thx for the input.

Armstrong - Both of the books are a little old (Published in 1986 and 1973). Could you suggest some follow up reading about more recent developments?

Arnold - I know it is a broad subject, but I prefer to start with some general reading and then get to the details in round two. Just as I do when I read about any conflict: The overview - and then the details.
    In history, old does not necessarily mean useless. Makers of Modern Strategy will be an excellent primer in the scope you want to read and will be the perfect stepping stone for reading contemporary writings on strategy for the post-cold war. It will provide you a context for such writings as the Martin van Creveld's The Transformation of War: The Most Radical Reinterpretation of Armed Conflict since Clausewitz" or General Makhmut Gareev's "If War Comes Tomorrow?: The Contours of Future Armed Conflict" or Col. Qiao Liang and Col. Wang Xiangsui's "Unrestricted Warfare: China's Master Plan to Destroy America." There's more out there to wade through, such as William Lind's "Understanding Fourth Generation Warfare"... and you will have to have a grip on the antecedents.

IMHO, you should have a good grounding before wading into the latter recommendations. History is prologue.
    Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 14 Feb 15, 07:30.

Leave a comment:

• wheelerxx
    replied
    Thx for the input.

Armstrong - Both of the books are a little old (Published in 1986 and 1973). Could you suggest some follow up reading about more recent developments?

Arnold - I know it is a broad subject, but I prefer to start with some general reading and then get to the details in round two. Just as I do when I read about any conflict: The overview - and then the details.
    Last edited by wheelerxx; 14 Feb 15, 04:46.

Leave a comment:

• R.N. Armstrong
    replied
    A good starters "Makers of Modern Strategy from Machiavelli to the Nuclear Age" edited by Peter Paret and "From Crossbow to H-Bomb: The evolution of the weapons and tactics of warfare" by Bernard and Fawn M. Brodie.

Leave a comment:

• slick24
    replied
    May not be your ideal books but
    The Art of Warfare by Sun Tzu and On War by Carl von Clausewitz are good books for strategy

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Originally posted by wheelerxx View Post
    I have been interested in military history for many years, but have never studied the "theory of warfare". Now I am looking for a book about fundamentals in strategy and tactict to build a more theoretical base for my readings. The ideal book describes development through time with focus on the Napoleonic era and forwards. Any suggestions?
    That's too broad. Warfare has changed a lot through the rise of technology, and tactics have been turned on their ear on a regular basis. Napoleon fought with armies fed by forage and contractor-driven wagons, whereas in the ACW railheads & watercraft dictated the ebb and flow of combat.

Leave a comment:

• Understanding tactics and strategy - Looking for a good book

I have been interested in military history for many years, but have never studied the "theory of warfare". Now I am looking for a book about fundamentals in strategy and tactict to build a more theoretical base for my readings. The ideal book describes development through time with focus on the Napoleonic era and forwards. Any suggestions?

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X