Good books on terrorism and counter-terrorism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good books on terrorism and counter-terrorism

So I'm in a counter-terrorism class and I am a bit rusty on the subject. Anyone know any good single volume accessible books on terrorism and counter-terrorism?
    The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Tough request, one book! The problem is that terrorism has evolved so rapidly since classic studies on Algeria, Malaya, Kenya, Mozambique, and Vietnam.

Terrorist organizations have evolved from the pyramidal structures of Algeria in region areas through the cellular structure by Al Qaeda in a global reach to now dealing with home-grown independent actions with limited links cells.

Counter-terrorism has only dealt with learning to east soup with a knife from the early terrorism. There are pieces available about efforts to deal with the contemporary cellular structure, but the antidote seems to be behind a mutating virus.
    Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Also, "terrorism" is a technique or tactic/method shaped by the ideology of those whom practice it. Best way to counter terrorism is to know the mind and motives of those whom engage such. Given that the current majority of terrorism seems linked to one ideology/religion, here's a few titles to consider;
      http://www.theblaze.com/blog/2015/01...-global-jihad/
      TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
      “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz

Comment

I did a post grad module on the subject a few years back. Here's some titles I made use of;

Whittaker- The terrorism reader (3rd ed)
        Harmon - Terrorism Today
        Gardner - American global strategy and the. War on terrorism
        Crelenstein - Counterterrorism (I recommend)
        Pillar- Terrorism and Us foreign policy
        Wilkinson - Terrorism versus Democracy

And most security studies text books may be useful. Freedman Strategy, Gray Modern Strategy
        ------
        'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

A good, fast, insightful read on the French experience in Algeria is General Paul Aussaresses's The Battle of the Casbah: Terrorism and Counter-terrorism in Algeria, 1955-1957. As an intelligence officer, he set up a special unit for General Massau to stop the growing terrorist attacks in Algiers.

You may recall a few years ago he was brought to trial for crimes against humanity for some of his accounts in the book. I think he was fined 50 or 500 Francs and remained unrepentant--said he would do the same thing today.
          Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 20 Jan 15, 14:28.

Comment

What are your needs? Theoretical? Law? Military operations against terrorism? General?

Since it sounds like a starting class, I guess it's general, in which case I'd suggest Boaz Ganor's "The Counter-Terrorism Puzzle: A Guide For Decision Makers"
            http://www.amazon.com/The-Counter-Te.../dp/141280602X

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
              What are your needs? Theoretical? Law? Military operations against terrorism? General?

Since it sounds like a starting class, I guess it's general, in which case I'd suggest Boaz Ganor's "The Counter-Terrorism Puzzle: A Guide For Decision Makers"
              http://www.amazon.com/The-Counter-Te.../dp/141280602X
              Really all of the above, although my interest is military first but I would like to be more grounded in the theoretical, political and historical.
              The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

Originally posted by Frtigern View Post
                Really all of the above, although my interest is military first but I would like to be more grounded in the theoretical, political and historical.
                Then I think the book I recommended is a perfect fit for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
                  Then I think the book I recommended is a perfect fit for you.
                  Thanks for the reference, I think so too and ordered it.

Comment

Anything by Steve Emerson right now is pretty cheap...Sorry couldnt help it...

Comment

Originally posted by Frtigern View Post
                      For CT theory I cannot recommend Crelenstein enough as a beginner-to-intermediate reader's exploration of the subject.
                      ------
                      'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Hi

God and the Gun: The Church and Irish Terrorism by Martin Dillon certainly made an impression on me. Especially in terms how the Religious aspect of terrorism was a tool of convenience, rather than a overarching mantra. Obviously the Religious aspects of the terrorism that now afflicts us, is somewhat more crude, though its relationship is as shifting as it was in NI during the troubles.
                        The above book was also referenced several times in Freedom Or Security: The Consequences for Democracies Using Emergency Powers By Michael Freeman, a book I partially read some years ago.

Regards

Andy H
                        "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X