Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many books do you plan to read in 2015?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many books do you plan to read in 2015?

How many books do you plan to read in 2015? I refer to nonfiction ----- fiction is mind candy, and if I read less of it, I could read more nonfiction. I love fiction, but it doesn't get the study projects done.

I plan on 100 nonfiction books. I achieved that in 2013; not so good in 2014, only 48. My sister said that wasn't so bad, that's one book a week plus four weeks off for good behavior. [:-)

I count codices, ebooks, audiobooks, and occasionally fiction that is directly related to the study project and that I might not read as fiction for pleasure (Tale of Two Cities, A Place of Greater Safety, both important French Rev. fiction). I have been known when desperate at the end of the month to read a knitting book with lots of illustrations. Hey, it's nonfiction.

Originally posted by Phebe View Post
    How many books do you plan to read in 2015? I refer to nonfiction ----- fiction is mind candy, and if I read less of it, I could read more nonfiction. I love fiction, but it doesn't get the study projects done.

I plan on 100 nonfiction books. I achieved that in 2013; not so good in 2014, only 48. My sister said that wasn't so bad, that's one book a week plus four weeks off for good behavior. [:-)

I count codices, ebooks, audiobooks, and occasionally fiction that is directly related to the study project and that I might not read as fiction for pleasure (Tale of Two Cities, A Place of Greater Safety, both important French Rev. fiction). I have been known when desperate at the end of the month to read a knitting book with lots of illustrations. Hey, it's nonfiction.
    All the ones pilled up in my study room.... lots.
    My worst jump story:
    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
    No lie.

~
    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
      All the ones pilled up in my study room.... lots.

Plan...no way and not even sure what direction. I want to get back into Mark Twain and see If I can find a handle on Shakespeare
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Average one to two fiction a week.

Five to six history per month and a lot of partial reads for research.
        Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 02 Jan 15, 12:41.
        Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

Plan...no way and not even sure what direction. I want to get back into Mark Twain and see If I can find a handle on Shakespeare
          The way we do Shakespeare (and we've covered I'd say 3/5 of the canon now) is I read the play and some criticism, then we together watch EVERY video out. I mean ALL, including truly weird things like Prospero's Books (a sort of ballet and reading of The Tempest) which no one in this country will carry anymore and I had to buy with some difficulty (I think it's the naked children and also the...well, never mind, and I don't think my husband approved) and Ian Holm's first screen appearance, as Puck in The Dream, painted bright green.

This means we watch way too many Hamlet's and only one of some things, like King John, thank goodness for the BBC's complete catalog.

As for your cartoon, I can't decide whether this is a commentary on modern bookstores desperately seeking customers, or a commentary on people who classify audiobooks as books.

Hey, I do draw the line at movies. I don't get a checkmark for documentaries or any movies of books. [:-)

Comment

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
            Average one to two fiction a week.

Five to six history per month and a lot of partial reads for research.

Five or six history per month is a lot. I'd like to do that or more and I try, but history books are often such TOMES. I've decided World War I has the longest books in the subjects in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

Surprised to hear that from someone that had to enlist to get their first pair of shoes.
              My worst jump story:
              No lie.

~
              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Considering educating my child,loving my wife,doing my business,painting my oils artworks and drinking wine,I'd say..one a month in the best case..
                That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by Phebe View Post
                  Five or six history per month is a lot. I'd like to do that or more and I try, but history books are often such TOMES. I've decided World War I has the longest books in the subjects in my experience.
                  It is an advantage to be somewhat retired and necessary for writing military history.

Comment

Between all the professional readings and specialized magazines (such as ACG), I try to read one or two books a month, alternating between fiction and non-fiction.

As one of my mentors once told me, if you want to better understand Winston Churchill, Abraham Lincoln or Che Guevara (or other famous/infamous person), don't only read their biographies, but also read what they read, especially the fiction stuff.

Comment

Ideally I'd like to read a book a week, but that doesn't happen. I plan on reading 2 books a month, hopefully more. I like to alternate between non-fiction and fiction books.

Comment

Full book list on the agenda for 2015.

Books 5 and 6 of the Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan

Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay

The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams

The Siege of Jerusalem: Crusade and Conquest in 1099 by Conor Kostick

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

The Second World War by John Keegan

With the favor of fortune, I'll probably get through the Wheel of Time books and then real life will kick in.
                        "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                          As one of my mentors once told me, if you want to better understand Winston Churchill, Abraham Lincoln or Che Guevara (or other famous/infamous person), don't only read their biographies, but also read what they read, especially the fiction stuff.
                          Your mentor gave you a piece of wisdom. Churchill was once asked where he gained command of the English language. He replied, "I read Kinglake!" So, I read Alexander William Kinglake's "Eothen or Traces of Travel Brought Home from the East" and the multi-volume "The Invasion of the Crimea: Its Origin & an Account of its Progress down to the Death of Lord Raglan". My conclusion is there is more to gaining command of the English language than reading Kinglake.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Rock View Post
                            Ideally I'd like to read a book a week, but that doesn't happen. I plan on reading 2 books a month, hopefully more. I like to alternate between non-fiction and fiction books.
                            I generally have two books going at one time--a nonfiction and fiction--depending on my mood--study or escape.

Comment

The only fiction I read is on the forums.
                              My worst jump story:
                              No lie.

~
                              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X