Best and worst adaptation of a book to screen, big or small

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
    Yes, that is what I meant by 'first movie'. The Bruce Willis was a joke and a commentary on current Hollywood.
    Very Much Agreed.

Comment

Blackhawk Down - Good movie and book. Good adaptation?

Comment

Band of Brothers great book and mini series.

The series seemed to be very faithful to the book. If there was more recent info the series deviated for accuracy.
        "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
        Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Originally posted by lirelou View Post
          The very worst I've seen is "The Ninth Gate" which was very loosely based on Arturo Perez-Reverte's "El Club Dumas". (The Dumas Club, referring to a group of re-enacters enamored of Alexandre Dumas' works.)

How anyone can take a great, if complex, novel, and one of America's better actors, and turn it into a boring slug, is beyond me. But they did it! Yech!
          I liked Ninth Gate; we recently rewatched it after I finished reading "Club Dumas."

True, they bear little resemblance! But they are both excellent (IMO) in themselves.

It's like The Shining as the book written by Stephen King or the movie with Jack Nicholson. They are both great, but very different.

I think books have to be reworked extensively for a visual medium. King's novels, as many novels, are thought stories --- and nobody can film thought.

Comment

Starship Troopers. I mean seriously, they didn't even bother making them cap troopers. And Zimm should sue.
            Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
            Hyperwar, Whats New
            World War II Resources
            The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
              I think some of the worst efforts were the Hollywood versions on some of the original Bond Stories.
              Absolutely.

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                "Jaws" horrible book,great film
                "Millinium" great books,great films
                "in the electric mist with the Confederates dead" brilliant book,quite good FRENCH film.
                "the grapes of wrath" both masterpieces,book and film
                "The Lord of the Ring"'s saga...well..What to say?
                Brilliant,according to me..
                We share a like of James Lee Burke, it appears. "Electric Mist" was undoubtedly one of his best.

I disagree about Benchley, however; his first books were quite suspensful and I liked Jaws, both the movie and the book. Later movies made from Benchley's books did not fare so well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  We share a like of James Lee Burke, it appears. "Electric Mist" was undoubtedly one of his best.

I disagree about Benchley, however; his first books were quite suspensful and I liked Jaws, both the movie and the book. Later movies made from Benchley's books did not fare so well.
                  WOT??
                  A point in common?
                  Champagne !
                  Happy new year you old fart!
                  That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Hmmm...great adaptations and bad ones...so many to choose from...

The Eagle Has Landed was extremely well done, as was The Needle.

The Hunt For Red October was also quite well done, possibly one of the best adaptations of Clancy's novels although some of the others were very well done as well. Hard to compress books the length of Clalncyt's into motion picture time frames.

The Train, made into a Burt Lancaster film done in France - excellent.

The Longest Day. Outstanding, although the sheer number of stars was a bit overwhelming.

Run Silent, Run Deep.

The Bedford Incident

The Last Ten Days was superb.

The original Moby Dick.

Doctor Zhivago. Outstanding.

War and Peace.

2001. Superb.

On the Beach.

Boys From Brazil

Marathon Man

MacArthur

To Kill A Mockingbird

The Guns of Navarronne

The adaptation of Forester's The Gun.- The Pride and the Passion. Excellent, even with Sinatra in it.

The original Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea, and the rest of films based on Verne's work. A little corny in places, but considering the film standards of the time, pretty fair.

The original Time Machine from Welle's. Later adaptations featured beture CGI, of course, but I liked the first version the best.

I'm ambivalent about the Conan films. The first one was good; the rest were IMHO terrible, not even close to doing credit to the vision of Howard. Coan was many things, but a sense of humor was never part of it.

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ******************
                    The worst? Most of the Biblical adaptations, especially those with a blue-eyed actor portraying Christ.

Bale's version of Moses.

Noah.

The entire Matt Helm spy series starring Dean Martin. The actual series of books were gritty and highly reminiscent of Fleming.

War of the Worlds. The original film was pretty good - the many remakes were awful, especially the Cruise-o-matic version.

I'm not sure what to say about the adaptation of Butcher's sorcery series into a TV series. Frankly, I thought they selected the right actor but made little effort to capture the essence of Butcher's books which are quite good.

That's all the strain my tired old brain can handle for now.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X