Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats so wrong about a special forces ex-member writing a book?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Whats so wrong about a special forces ex-member writing a book?

    I am not referring to any particular book in mind but I have seen in recent days an interview with Mr.O'Neil (Navy Seal) on Fox and I have the question which is ,what is wrong with writing a book about your time in the Military? I have read and still read books about the Military. engagements, etc ,etc and wonder why after hundreds of books being written by ex-military why its considered so wrong when someone writes one? I know Mr.O'neil didn't write one but many seem to be upset with him. I personally have never served in the military but I love reading about their experiences. Most if not all criticism comes from other ex-servicemen. Anyone out there want to answer?

  • #2
    Concerning what Robert O'Neil has claimed:
    1. It has not been proven that O'Neil was the one that killed Osama bin Laden.
    2. He may have leaked classified information.
    3. The Navy Seals ethos "I do not advertise the nature of my work, nor seek recognition for my actions." A couple of Navy Seals have called O'Neil out on it.
    4. He may have put himself, his family, friends and other Navy Seals in danger by disclosing this information.
    “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
    ― Groucho Marx

    Comment


    • #3
      I think anyone who has been involved in covert and clandestine operations has to be extremely careful not to compromise sources and methods--and especially if they are going to go public. If still on active duty they are required to submit their drafts for security clearance. I'm not sure what is binding by law after they are out of service, but they should have a good sense of discretion for those who are still in action.
      Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 14 Nov 14, 08:38.
      Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

      Comment


      • #4
        I haven't read O'Neil's book nor do I intend to, but it is his right to publish it. If it's b.s. then it will eventually be exposed for what it is and will meet it's rightful end in the recycle bin were it belongs.
        The issue that I have with this type of book is that it has the potential to expose those still serving to additional dangers which otherwise they wouldn't have to face.
        If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went when they died-Will Rogers

        Comment


        • #5
          Found it. Who must submit materials intended for publication for a DoD or OSR pre-publication review?

          "All current, former, and retired DoD employees and military service members (whether active or reserve) who have had access to DoD information or facilities, must submit DoD information intended for public release to the appropriate office for review and clearance."

          "Pre-publication reviews and protection of classified information are a lifetime responsibility. Your responsibility does not end when you end your association with the Department of Defense."

          I hope the author remembered this clause in his security clearance.
          Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

          Comment


          • #6
            It doesn't matter that he wrote a book.

            The military wants to hide all the info because the military ALWAYS wants to hide all the info.

            We don't have to cooperate with that any more than we are forced to by imminent force from them.

            So he wrote a book. Big deal.

            Comment


            • #7
              I just hope his book doesn't say that seals are "silent professionals" as so many other seal books say.
              "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jonny87kz View Post
                I just hope his book doesn't say that seals are "silent professionals" as so many other seal books say.
                No joke.
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Writing a book about your experiences is fine by me, I do however believe that it should be vetted by the respective military authorities in case it inadvertently leaks sensitive information.
                  What grinds my gears though are the books written by people claiming to be ex special forces. I was reading a book called beating the clock about a guy who claims to be an ex sas soldier. It is full of inconsistencies and comes across as someone who has read too many sas books and taken the best bits for himself.
                  He may well of served in the army itself, maybe even attempted sas selaection, I tried but failed.
                  It's not right to do this, unfortunately. Anyone reading it who hasn't served may believe all the rubbish printed.
                  At the moment the military book market in the uk is inundated with special forces memoirs, some very good ones with regards to NI, but some absolute rubbish.
                  I much prefer to read sas books when the guy served in my time so I can see if it's accurate, mostly they are.
                  The famous andy mcnab of bravo two zero fame got slated for his book, without a doubt he had a remarkable career and I won't question any of his experiences, but his fellow troopers did. There are always differing sides to each story, even from guys fighting side by side in a battle.
                  I rember reading about the seal teams by some famous seal about twenty years ago, all very gung-ho but I found some of it hard to believe. Not my place to question his service though.



                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I just hope his book doesn't say that seals are "silent professionals" as so many other seal books say.
                    "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Phebe View Post
                      It doesn't matter that he wrote a book.

                      The military wants to hide all the info because the military ALWAYS wants to hide all the info.

                      We don't have to cooperate with that any more than we are forced to by imminent force from them.

                      So he wrote a book. Big deal.
                      Do you know how many CIA operatives were killed or rolled up and operations compromised by Philip Agee's, Inside the Company: CIA Diary (1975)?
                      Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        How did your gov react after the Fox interview?
                        That rug really tied the room together

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jonny87kz View Post
                          I just hope his book doesn't say that seals are "silent professionals" as so many other seal books say.
                          You do have a point there...... [:-)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                            How did your gov react after the Fox interview?
                            What Fox interview? I probably missed it, I don't waste much time on television.
                            Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by queensman View Post
                              Writing a book about your experiences is fine by me, I do however believe that it should be vetted by the respective military authorities in case it inadvertently leaks sensitive information.
                              What grinds my gears though are the books written by people claiming to be ex special forces. I was reading a book called beating the clock about a guy who claims to be an ex sas soldier. It is full of inconsistencies and comes across as someone who has read too many sas books and taken the best bits for himself.
                              He may well of served in the army itself, maybe even attempted sas selaection, I tried but failed.
                              It's not right to do this, unfortunately. Anyone reading it who hasn't served may believe all the rubbish printed.
                              At the moment the military book market in the uk is inundated with special forces memoirs, some very good ones with regards to NI, but some absolute rubbish.
                              I much prefer to read sas books when the guy served in my time so I can see if it's accurate, mostly they are.
                              The famous andy mcnab of bravo two zero fame got slated for his book, without a doubt he had a remarkable career and I won't question any of his experiences, but his fellow troopers did. There are always differing sides to each story, even from guys fighting side by side in a battle.
                              I rember reading about the seal teams by some famous seal about twenty years ago, all very gung-ho but I found some of it hard to believe. Not my place to question his service though.



                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              There was also Tom Carew/Philip Sessarego from a few years back.

                              http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/j...essarego-jihad
                              "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
                              G.B Shaw

                              "They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
                              Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X