Neal Stephenson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neal Stephenson

Right have you guys not read Snow Crash?

The Diamond Age?

Are we lost for a generation?

Who else is a fan of intelligent scifi?
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
    Right have you guys not read Snow Crash?

The Diamond Age?

Are we lost for a generation?

Who else is a fan of intelligent scifi?

I've read Snow Crash three times and have it on audiobook to listen to now. I'm really looking forward to hearing it. Diamond Age: once read, once listened to.

Greg Egan writes the most intellectual scifi today, IMO. Quarantine, omigod. And Distress!! And Permutation City, everyone's favorite. All top, top.

I also like Michael Crichton. His "Prey" -- one of his more recent novels -- is very informative, and also quite scary with wonderful characterizations. I'm finding it better listened to than read: slows me down, it's a racing plot.

I hate Robert Sawyer. Poor writing, obvious plots, anti-Americanism.

Bored with Greg Bear, somehow.

I wish Tad Williams would get out of fantasy and go back to his "Otherland" type of writing, I've read that whole five-book series over and over. That's real sci-fi, computer stuff.

Elizabeth Moon has her moments. I know she mainly writes fantasies and space operas both with military women starring, but when she writes "real" scifi, speculative fiction, like "Speed of Dark" or "Remnant Population," they are very thoughtful.

Connie Willis is perhaps the most profound of the current sci-fi writers: hers is the Oxford historians time travel novels, like the WWII "Blackout" and "All Clear." And the matchless WWII time-travel novella "Firewatch." Brilliant.

That's probably more than you wanted to know........ [:-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
    X