Killing Patton

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redcoat View Post
    We know exactly what killed Patton, a road traffic accident.

There is nothing about the accident which gives any credence whatsoever to the claim it was an assassination.
    Agree completely.

Sincerely,
    M
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Important people can't just have pointless, random, meaningless, accidental deaths can they?

Comment

I read O'Reilly's book; it's a good read as far as the history goes. It's only when he and the author stray into the conspiracy theory that it gets onto thin ice.

Reasons there was no Soviet assassin:

1. A traffic accident is a horribly unreliable way to kill someone. Exhibit A: Patton's COS and driver walking away from the accident. Stalin would have a better chance by sitting someone atop the I.G. Farben building with a rock when Patton went to see Ike in late September.

2. Patton had no popular pull in December 1945. Everyone in the US wanted peace by then, not another war. Patton of December 1945 was not the Patton of 1970. He was a war hero, but that didn't mean people would do whatever he told them to do.

3. Truman disliked Patton, and war was Truman's decision.

4. The Soviets still had a lot of enemies even if Patton were gone, including the aforementioned Harry Truman. There would have been a great deal of discussion about war before taking any steps, and none of those discussions would have included Patton.

5. Patton was old and had potentially fatal accidents before.

6. There's no evidence that a Soviet assassin snuck into Patton's hospital room and poisoned him.

7. It's not uncommon to have a pulmonary embolism or other catastrophic system failure secondary to a high cervical fracture/contusion. Many people younger than 60 have died after sustaining a similar injury.

Jon
        "There are only two professions in the world in which the amateur excels the professional. One, military strategy, and, two, prostitution."
        -- Maj. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

(Avatar: Commodore Edwin Ward Moore, Republic of Texas Navy)

Comment

Originally posted by redcoat View Post
          We know exactly what killed Patton, a road traffic accident.

There is nothing about the accident which gives any credence whatsoever to the claim it was an assassination.
          Yup.

The same driving habits also killed his protégé Walker in Korea.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

It is surprising how few famous generals got killed in plane or car crashes in that war (or later). Accidents will happen - and with the small L-5s and lack of radar back then, it's a wonder more weren't killed.
            "There are only two professions in the world in which the amateur excels the professional. One, military strategy, and, two, prostitution."
            -- Maj. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

(Avatar: Commodore Edwin Ward Moore, Republic of Texas Navy)

Comment

I thought the book was OK...kind of an alternate history thing to me.
              Skip

Comment

Originally posted by holly6 View Post
                Interesting, and unknown by me. Could you cite the reference? Thanks.
                Here is one article which speaks of it, although this one is written from a...rather pointed point of view:

Patton On Communism And The Khazar Jews

http://www.rense.com/general85/pats.htm

Comment

He was just pure and simple, eccentric. And when you deal with fellow army men there is always that brutality factor that permeats military establishment. It did not go into his head. What I think is that the anti-McCarthytes (or communists) were retaliating for their losses in China or anywhere else. Four Bolivarian army generals who ordered or had a hand in the assassination of Che Guevarra all suffered similar fates. Every CIA intelligence agent's worst nightmare: Fidel R. Castro!
                  Last edited by nadya; 28 Feb 15, 20:18.

Comment

I thought it was a well written entertaining book. Bought a copy for my father and he loved it, but he's more of a O'Reilly fan than I. I also could've also done without the conspiracy theory.
                    Few men are killed by bayonets, but many are scared by them. Having the bayonet fixed makes our men want to close. Only the threat to close will defeat a determined enemy.

Comment

After reading O'Reilly's book, I feel that he could have delved more into some of the more popular conspiracy theories that surrounded Patton's untimely demise. The book did, however, entertain me with some little known facts of the day.
                      ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                      IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

what are those little known facts?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X