H.P. Lovecraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H.P. Lovecraft

A site with his stuff is here: http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary...aft/index.html.

While The Call of Cthulhu remains a firm favourite of mine, I still think The Case of Charles Dexter Ward is his best piece of work.

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary...dexterward.htm

Watching this film will not be a waste of your time either imho.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Call_of_Cthulhu
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

I was reading my Necronomicon copy just the other month, got through quite a few of the stories. At the Mountains of Madness is probably my favorite in a way but there's so many I quite like. I think I must have read most of it, though I did skip one or two of the stories which didn't grab me, no doubt I'll get to them when I re-read, most likely around Halloween which is when I like to read Lovecraft :P

------
    'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

I have both this:

and this:

The first is an excellent source of his material. The second is rubbish, ie a pretend spellbook and a waste of my money.
      How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

It's the first one I have, never knew about the second. The first also was part of a series of other Pulp writers in similar bindings, o0f which I have two R.E. Howard ones; Conan and Conan's Brethren - the latter is Solomon Kane, King Kull, etc.
        ------
        'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Got Howard's Bran McMorn?
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Just yesterday I watched Cabin in the Woods, a VERY strange high-concept horror film that did incorporate Lovecraftian "Ancients." It wasn't bad....unexpected, but not awful.

Neil Gaiman does wonderful Lovecraft riffs, including the best in a collection called "The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes." I don't normally like pastiches of Holmes, but the Gaiman one is priceless.

Another book that uses Lovecraft is the new "14." Charming sci-fi ---- but I got it as soon as the sky split and "something monstrous and bat-like moved behind it." He's doing a Lovecraft! I thought. Yep.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Got Howard's Bran McMorn?
              It does indeed! Along with a lot of his 'one off heroes'
              ------

Comment

While his concepts are compelling, I find his writing style to lack impact. He spends too much time telling the reader how horrifying something is, without actually making it scary.

Other writers have built off his works and done very well. Stephen King has a Lovecraftian short story will chills me every time I read it.
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                  Available on Netflix.
                  Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
                  Hyperwar, Whats New
                  World War II Resources
                  The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                    While his concepts are compelling, I find his writing style to lack impact. He spends too much time telling the reader how horrifying something is, without actually making it scary.

Other writers have built off his works and done very well. Stephen King has a Lovecraftian short story will chills me every time I read it.
                    In 1935 I think that was the point - the suspense of building up to it was the telling of how scary it was - you never really get told what the monster is in some cases - just 'mind shattering horror' usually beyond even the darkest ponderings of the necronomicon, the product of the warped mind of 'that mad Arab Abdul Alhazred.' My fiction reading is very limited to the kind of stuff one buys in airports, so I find Lovecraft to be quite good as a writer , I really like the way he writes a given paragraph or sentence and his use of words. (<-great sentence right there)
                    ------

Comment

I loved his stuff as a teenager. I recently re-read a large number of his short stories. It's an interesting idea but 80% of his writing is horrible.
                      AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                      The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

I am a fan of Lovecraft. Read lots of his material. Good stuff, but very dated now. His material and his style doesn't cut in nowadays as real horror. I think we've just become too desensitized to it now.
                        The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                          and this:

The first is an excellent source of his material. The second is rubbish, ie a pretend spellbook and a waste of my money.
                          Its 90% a re-telling of the Sumerian religion ... and has less than nothing to do with anything Lovecraft ever wrote.
                          He even made up better spells.
                          I'd love to see a translation of some of the Latin he used. Seemed poetical, even
                          "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X