Need the name of a novel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need the name of a novel

I'm trying to find the title of a novel (most likely written in the '80s) I came across several years ago. The plot concerned a group of individuals who seize a weapons storage area in the U.S. midwest. If I'm not mistaken, the cover (at least the paperback one) featured a Pershing missile. Sound familiar to anyone?

Originally posted by jackball74 View Post
    I'm trying to find the title of a novel (most likely written in the '80s) I came across several years ago. The plot concerned a group of individuals who seize a weapons storage area in the U.S. midwest. If I'm not mistaken, the cover (at least the paperback one) featured a Pershing missile. Sound familiar to anyone?
    I know of one where a group decided to seize and ICBM control station with ten silos slaves to it, and blackmail the US into paying a big ransom in order to prevent them from launching the missiles. Demanded the Prez as a hostage. That the one?
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

No, I believe that's "Viper Three", but thanks!

Comment

No, I believe that's "Viper Three", but thanks!
        OK, then I got nuthin'. Good luck with your search.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Could it be "The Day Before Midnight," by Stephen Hunter?

It was his first novel, and the timeframe is right, and I thought it was excellent.

It's not set in the Midwest, it's set in Western Maryland, but it has a Midwest feel to the area.

Paramilitary terrorists who have taken over a top-secret nuclear complex kidnap Maryland welder Jack Hummel and force him to cut through a half-ton titanium block that conceals the launch button.

Comment

Checked that one out, too. Looks cool, but not the one. Wish I could remember more about the plot. I do remember the synopsis on the back mentioned that it was more of a storage area rather than a launch site, though.

Comment

I'm thinking of Hunter's book, the same one Persephone posted.

The other one I recall is Twilight's Last Gleaming.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I did check out Viper Three (the book that Twilight's Last Gleaming was based on) and it wasn't the one. I believe the title was the nickname of the facility, something made up of two words.

Comment

Harold Coyle wrote a doomsday book titled Dead Hand. There is also the very famous Fail Safe - the original, not the Kubrick version. Then there is The Bedford Incident, The Last Missile Site and The Damascus Incident.

Sounds like you have some research ahead of you.
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Found it!
                    http://www.amazon.com/Assault-Alpha-.../dp/1476797161

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X