Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just as an example for discussion of how to make this work;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Unpreven...336418&sr=1-10

This book, IMO, is, judging on the title, wrong and the author has no real credibility, but his points could be interresting in and of themselves and worthy of discussion. However, that would lead to a general WWI debate, which is unreliant on such a book club/study group.
    ------
    'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Selous View Post

This book, IMO, is, judging on the title, wrong and the author has no real credibility, but his points could be interresting in and of themselves and worthy of discussion. However, that would lead to a general WWI debate, which is unreliant on such a book club/study group.
      I think you are saying you would like the discussion to be about the BOOK rather than about people's independent opinions on the topic of the book. That's a good point, IMO.

Comment

At the moment it's still int he grey - the internet gives us, in theory, an unlimited amount of time and space to talk about the book and our opinions on its subject, but book clubs tend to concentrate on the book whilst study groups utilise a number of sources.
        ------
        'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Good Idea!

Originally posted by Selous View Post

Originally posted by Phebe View Post
          I think you are saying you would like the discussion to be about the BOOK rather than about people's independent opinions on the topic of the book. That's a good point, IMO.
          And that is what makes it a "book club", a focus on the work in question and its qualities both good and bad (i.e. interesting concept, horrible prose )
          Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Book discussion would be interesting. Would it be feasible to have two entirely different areas, one fiction and the other non-fiction? Again would it be feasible to have those interested to put forth a book in one or the other or both groups and allow a vote to determine which one people would like to discuss? The major difficulty I see was mentioned before in the availability of the book. I for one rely heavily on the public library, not saying that I do not have a somewhat mediocre collection of my own.
            Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Comment

Options

1. After you've kicked it around a bit, start a new thread with a poll to determine your next volume/topic for discussion.

2. When ready for discussion, start a new thread, "Book Club: <title/topic>"

If need be, those can be stickied by Staff so they stay at the top of the page for the duration of your discussion.

If you think it would help we can also set up a social group for extended discussions.

Suggestion: Don't try to go with too aggressive a schedule. Members have widely varying demands on their time and I find it rare that anything meaningful gets done in less than a full week. More likely a month.

Best of luck, yell if you have questions.
              Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Is anything happening with this?
                AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Not at my end - I've been a bit distracted with things these past weeks and saved my considerable mental energies, such as make the sun appear as a tiny candle, for other matters - However, I'm still happy to take part - whether such a thing requires 'leadership' is another matter - the problem is in finding something everyone would like to read and discuss, so far that's a bit stuck.
                  ------

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X