Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book club/ study group

Hello,
    Does anyone have experience with on-line book clubs and study groups? I was wondering if anyone else would like to set one up/see one for a given subject here, and if so, if they had some ideas as to how to go about it.

I'd imagine it's a bit different to doing it in reality, and I suppose, to an extent there'd be overlap with just a general forum-like setup we have here. Would that be a correct?

For a subject I was thinking something which is usually not covered by any of the specific sub-forums, or don't pull in the crowds: say, 19th Century warfare, doctrinal publications, strategic thought, age of discovery or whatever else might be suggested. Those are just my interests, but I'm willing to participate in others which take my fancy and help in any case.

Best,

Selous
    ------
    'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

I think it's a great idea. Making sure everyone has access to the books might be the biggest obstacle.
    "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
    -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
      I think it's a great idea. Making sure everyone has access to the books might be the biggest obstacle.
      Ah good point, perhaps free/very cheap e-books and on-line content would be the only true share-able source in that regard...but I expect that's a limited amount :/
      ------
      'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Sounds like a good way to insure everyone understands what they're reading Selous. I like the idea.
        Skip

Comment

Good idea.

Comment

Righty-oh then gents (and lady!)
            What sort of subject would be preffered?
            And, any ideas on how to set the study plan?

Also, I think if such a thing were done it'd be best to alternate who gets to pick which subject/book we study that month/fortnight to vary up the subject, interest.
            ------

Comment

Just throwing out ideas I have (unread) books on ---

Biological bases for war, such as "War Is a Force That Gives Us Meaning," by Chris Hedges; "Sex and War" by Malcom Potts.

Special times/areas: "Carthage Must Be Destroyed" by Richard Mills; "The Impossible State" [North Korea] by Victor Cha; anything about the French Revolution or WWI is fun for me.

The Interwar Interval (1930s) or the Fall of France: beginnings are so interesting.

Terrorism studies. There are textbooks now. A bio: "The Short Strange Life of Herschel Grynszpan," the boy whose assassination of a German embassy staff member started Krystalnacht.

Biographies. Catherine the Great, Henry VII.

These are just ideas to ripple the pond; I'm not wedded to any of them.

Comment

Well the 100 anniversary of The Great War is almost upon us. I have been interested in learning more about the 30 Years War and the Northern Wars. You never have to twist my arm to read about F&I war or the Seven Year War.
                "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."

Comment

A point raised by Phebe in another thread, which relates to this discussion:

Originally posted by Phebe
                  A book club could discuss that opening chapter of Clausewitz with the short aphorisms (very Nietzchian). That would be interesting.
                  ------

Comment

Originally posted by Phebe
                    Just throwing out ideas I have (unread) books on ---

Biological bases for war, such as "War Is a Force That Gives Us Meaning," by Chris Hedges; "Sex and War" by Malcom Potts.
                    These are certainly interesting areas anthropology and sociology shouldnt be underestimated in the study of war, though for now I think we should start with broad military themes and then, if that works, splinter into such subjects as part of a mutually agreed plan at a later point. Having said that, we could pick a subject more generally per turn and report back on it.

anything about the French Revolution or WWI is fun for me.

The Interwar Interval (1930s) or the Fall of France: beginnings are so interesting.

Terrorism studies. There are textbooks now. A bio: "The Short Strange Life of Herschel Grynszpan," the boy whose assassination of a German embassy staff member started Krystalnacht.

Biographies. Catherine the Great, Henry VII.

These are just ideas to ripple the pond; I'm not wedded to any of them.

Originally posted by Twitter
                    Well the 100 anniversary of The Great War is almost upon us. I have been interested in learning more about the 30 Years War and the Northern Wars. You never have to twist my arm to read about F&I war or the Seven Year War.
                    Id also like to learn more about these conflicts, particularly the French and Indian, but I think WWI makes a kind of sense with the anniversary and is something you have both shown an interest in. Its also a good war to examine with a lot of interesting factors to consider. However, weve got four years, in theory, to look at, so I suggest we keep the options open for now and get more of an idea on how to work out such a group. WWI, 18th century Europe and North American conflicts up to the French revolution, seem to be general areas of interest so far. But some more may appear from other posters not yet commented.

As this is the first time Ive looked into something like this, let alone online, Id like to point out that Im picking it up as I go along, so advice and what not is really, really appreciated!
                    Im sort of going off this; http://ctl.byu.edu/single-article/ho...e-study-groups. It basically seems it could work as a normal thread but with a slightly more structured system each poster having read up on a particular section of a given field, presents a post of their finding and then we ask questions of the other, or, in the case of overlap like we all read the same piece, we share views on the conclusions and paths for further research. The main benefit is questioning each other and bouncing the ideas around that they generate.
                    ------

Comment

Either avenue sounds good. We should put out an invitation for others to join.

Comment

When you select a book I can stick a thread for you. I'll cut it loose and start another when you start the next book. It might help if you include the book title - For example:

"ACG Book Club - Now Reading Elizabeth by Starkey"

Then include a picture of the book in your first post to begin the thread.
                        AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                        The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
                          Either avenue sounds good. We should put out an invitation for others to join.
                          Agreed; I was hoping this thread would serve that purpose but maybe it needs more adverisement.

This evening I'm going to do ponder a route for it; basic principles to kickstart a book discussion and see how that goes.

Originally posted by Duncan
                          When you select a book I can stick a thread for you. I'll cut it loose and start another when you start the next book. It might help if you include the book title - For example:

"ACG Book Club - Now Reading Elizabeth by Starkey"

Then include a picture of the book in your first post to begin the thread.
                          Good stuff, thank you - noted
                          ------

Comment

Count me in.

On any given day, there are tens of thousands of free ebooks available on Amazon, so selecting one of those would be a good way to ensure that everyone can get a copy.

For members who don't have an e-reader device, you can download 'Kindle for PC' free from Amazon. It's what I use on my laptop and works great.

I guess the next step would be to choose a subject, then find a free book on that subject. I'd think the subject should be a historical topic of wide interest.

Philip
                            "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

Good stuff Philip; I think picking something we can all access for as cheaply as possible is a good idea. I was just checking the Amazon kindle store for free history ebooks and ...well, there's a lot of dreck there, a few general histories, and undoubtably some gold; thi swas WWI though, if anyone has any suggestions, then I'm all ears..or eyes as the case may be for reading your post.
                              ------

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X