Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternate history scenarios you would like to read about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate history scenarios you would like to read about?

And you have not heard about books existing in such a potential future.

I would love to read an alternate history story in which China colonises a large part of Africa after Zheng He and there is a large black population in China.
    texjoy861 from youtube:

"Aaron Sorkin writes like a limousine liberal version of Ayn Rand. None of the characters sound remotely like human beings."

Would appreciate a what if Nazi Germany wasn't defeated (not necessarily won either) that doesn't involve science fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
      Would appreciate a what if Nazi Germany wasn't defeated (not necessarily won either) that doesn't involve science fiction.
      HBO Fatherland from 1994:

"The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
        HBO Fatherland from 1994:

This looks interesting...how is it? (and where can I find a full version? )

So far my only venture into the field was Robert Hariss' Fatherland.

Comment

This looks interesting...how is it? (and where can I find a full version? )

So far my only venture into the field was Robert Hariss' Fatherland.
          This is the film version of Fatherland by Harriss.
          "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
            This is the film version of Fatherland by Harriss.

Well, I guess I'll pass. The book as I remember it (and it's been a while so I might be off) was more of a detective book just set in a 1960's Nazi Germany.
            I might re-visit it though if I'm off...

Comment

Originally posted by Emmajin Beki View Post
              And you have not heard about books existing in such a potential future.

I would love to read an alternate history story in which China colonises a large part of Africa after Zheng He and there is a large black population in China.
              Very rich ground indeed.
              Now I wonder too how a Chinese colony in Eastern Africa would have developed as well as a black community in Southern? China.

As a spin-off, I would also like to pay special attention to the
              colonial skirmishes with the Portuguese who came venturing around Africa 80 years later.
              Not sure at all how that would have panned out,
              Would the the Chinese head start of almost a century in Africa and their
              huge junks have been enough to off-set Portuguese superior firepower?
              BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Have you read "1490,The Year China Discovered the World"?
                I assume you have, but if not then it's a must read!

Comment

A WW1 scenario where Imperial Germany, just prior to the war, scraps the Schlieffen Plan and throws its offensive power against Russia while sitting on the defensive against France. No invasion of Belgium. What does the UK do now?
                  Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Okay here's a strech . The Isreali army of toady ,with full ammo, and at full strength gets zapped back to North Africa. They come upon Rommel and his Afrika Corps. And the battle begins. ha, ha, ha, ha,

Comment

I'd be rather fond of pretty much any shoe-on-the-other-foot scenario just for **** starting and shock value.
                      Youthful Exuberance Is No Match For Old Age And Treachery.

Comment

There are a lot of these now; I'm reading up a small collection and plan to start a thread on the topic today. I want to see if I've missed any.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                          A WW1 scenario where Imperial Germany, just prior to the war, scraps the Schlieffen Plan and throws its offensive power against Russia while sitting on the defensive against France. No invasion of Belgium. What does the UK do now?
                          Britain stays out, of course!! And France does not attack: in our time line they carefully stayed well inside their frontiers. France had MUCH less population than Germany and had no chance of winning by itself, and knew it. So no Western Front.

And Germany wins, easily, in Russia: nobody in Germany is angry, no Communism, no atom bomb, no Holocaust, no fascism anywhere, no Hitler, basically no 20th century as we know it.

I so want this alternate history to be written!! Seems to me the crucial scenario that everything that has happened stemmed from, much more interesting than any WWII ones, after everything has gone wrong.

Germany has to win EARLY in WWI or before, as you posit. It was the massive loss of millions on all sides, the starving, the exhaustion, the hatred built up, the disillusionment that caused all the trouble later.

But if Germany wins early, you've got a whole other situation to play with: would Germany then move on France and eventually on Britain? I say not necessarily, but at this point all speculation is free creating.

Comment

Names?
                            Reviews?

Comment

SS GB by Len Deighton. Its a detective novel as well, but is more political crime, and thus a lot more involved in a historical view of the 'setting'.

No science fiction at all.
                              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X