Cold weather narrative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold weather narrative?

Can anybody recommend some military narrative involving really cold weather.

I think I can just read "forgotten soldier" again.

"The coldest War" (Korea) is very good but I'm not in the mood to read it again at this time.

Off-hand I cannot think of anything that has a major part in the battle of the bulge.

Eastern Front might be "better".

German language acceptable, too.

This one any good?
    http://www.amazon.com/Narrative-Revo.../dp/0451531582

"A Narrative of a Revolutionary Soldier: Some Adventures, Dangers, and Sufferings of Joseph Plumb Martin "

Comment

The Sergeant in the Snow

Few Returned: Twenty-eight Days on the Russian Front, Winter 1942-1943

Two classic books that look at the often ignored Italian experience on the Eastern Front. The descriptions of the winter retreat of 1942-43 are horrific.

Comment

Looking good, CarpeDiem.

Any idea what the difference is, what's the better read at first?

Looks like the Sergant one is part of a series.

Comment

If I had to choose I'd go with the Sergeant one first. It stands alone so no worries about reading other books.

Comment

I ordered a copy. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by CarpeDiem View Post
              Second time within 24 hours that I read about this book from two independent sources
              In my experience there will be a third time equally soon.

First time the book was likeked to Xenophon's 'Anabasis' written by an Alpini NCO.
              BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I'd never heard of it before, but the reviews are very flattering.

Few returned also seems a good read.

I think I'll order the first and if I like it also buy the second.
                Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

It would be remiss of me not to mention two other recent books on the subject, more histories than narratives but interesting nonetheless.

Sacrifice on the Steppe: The Italian Alpine Corps in the Stalingrad Campaign, 1942-1943

Mussolini's Death March: Eyewitness Accounts of Italian Soldiers on the Eastern Front

Comment

Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
                    Second time within 24 hours that I read about this book from two independent sources
                    In my experience there will be a third time equally soon.

First time the book was likeked to Xenophon's 'Anabasis' written by an Alpini NCO.
                    Theory sort of holds true, yesterday was the third time I came across this book within a reasonable time frame.
                    High time I get it
                    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Don't forget Napoleon's Return from Moscow. Jeepers, what a story of cold. I am starting "The Illustrious Dead," by Stephen Talty, which is more about typhoid during that march, but it's a famous cold-weather military event.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
                        Theory sort of holds true, yesterday was the third time I came across this book within a reasonable time frame.

High time I get it
                        Are you an adept of agent Cooper by chance Major ?

When two separate evens occur simultaneously pertaining to the same object in inquiry we must always pay strict attention.
                        High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

I could have been 25 years ago

Did agent Cooper actually say such thing too,
                          or was it rather something he could have said?
                          BoRG

Comment

He said many other things too, some profound, some less so,

most will be familiar with the coffee quote so I'll pick this one -

Dale Cooper: Major, I'm going to take a moment here. I feel the call of nature. There's nothing quite like urinating out in the open air.
                            One of the great American philosophers imho

All terribly off topic I know....
                            High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

A bit more of digression and I'll stop too.
                              It brings back many good memories and a smile with it
                              Quotes indeed about good coffee and cherry pie to die for but also philosophical ones on the importance of simultaneity.
                              I loved it.
                              BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X