The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire

Does anyone have an opinion on this book(s)? Is it still worth reading or is it now incorrect and there is a better approach?
    AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Read The unabridged version when I was a child, a long time ago. He did go into religion a lot, putting a lot of emphasis on the rise of Christianity and the conflicts within Christianity. Otherwise is good.
    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

I read it about 50 years ago. It's a good place to start.
      Skip

Comment

Got an abridged copy a while back but as of yet has not started reading the book...should I? I got the book as a research source for My early Civilization class I'm teaching in the fall will it be worthwhile?

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
          Read The unabridged version when I was a child, a long time ago. He did go into religion a lot, putting a lot of emphasis on the rise of Christianity and the conflicts within Christianity. Otherwise is good.
          "Good" ??! We are referring to Gibbon, I take it ? If so the work is quite iconic: a yardstick.
          An emphasis on the religious aspects is entirely understandable given the context of the times it was written :"The Age of Reason" and all that. But again, surely, the rise of Christianity wasn't exactly unimportant ?
          Last edited by BELGRAVE; 30 May 14, 19:30.
          "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
          Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X