X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.N. Armstrong
    replied
    Just finished Howard Blum's "The Eve of Destruction: The Untold Story of the Yom Kippur war". The author conducted extensive interviews focusing the personality clashes and decisions, as well as some lower level commanders' experience, during the war.

I was a junior Captain assigned to HQ USAREUR as a watch officer screening all intelligence reports from Europe, North Africa, and Middle East to the western border of Afghanistan looking for indications of hostilities. The Yom Kippur war broke on my shift. I had been listing and reporting indicators of hostilities the week before the war starting on Saturday, October 6, 1973. The major who was the Middle east desk officer had briefed at 1730 hrs, Oct 5th, that there would be no war in the Middle East. I came in three hours early the next morning for my shift and read a report that prompted my start in alerting the HQ USAREUR staff and command. Blum identifies the report which was also catalytic intelligence information for the Israeli leadership--the Soviet advisers were putting their families on airplanes for departure.
    Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 13 Aug 19, 04:27.

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    I have started reading some of my Patrick O'Brian books again.

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• D1J1
    replied
    Battles and Leaders of the Civil War, Vol. 3.

Leave a comment:

• Skoblin
    replied
    Bertell Ollman, Alienation: Marx's conception of man in capitalist society

Alienation.jpg

Leave a comment:

• MarkV
    replied
    Originally posted by Duncan View Post
    Although one should read Ambrosie Bierce's ACW short stories as a counter balance

Leave a comment:

• Duncan
    replied
    010.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Capt AFB
    replied
    "Appel"
    by Joel Adams Struthers

Anyone thinking of joining the French Foreign Legion should read Struthers book.

Quite an interesting read.

He give the good and the bad - in training, on operation, in life in general.

He would become a paratrooper and then a SF guy with the FFL.

Leave a comment:

• jeffdoorgunnr
    replied
    reading about this fellow.....

Leave a comment:

• Duncan
    replied
    011.jpg

Leave a comment:

• warmoviebuff
    replied
    I'm following up a +1,000 pager (The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich) with another one. This will be my third time reading John Toland's The Rising Sun. I always preferred the Pacific Theater to the ETO.

51GJObuXGcL._SX342_.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Duncan
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post

What was the takeaway?
    Haven't gotten very far yet. But generally - not to oversimplify a very complex person, Guevara or Pineiro. The back cover quotes Pineiro, "To try to reduce Che to a mere cultural symbol is a vulgar oversimplification..."

I picked up a bunch of books because the embargo makes them difficult to find. They tend to be published in Australia for the Cuban tourist market. I'm assuming it's for the tourist market because I can't see a Cuban national spending a month's pay on a book.
    Last edited by Duncan; 29 Jun 19, 10:31.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Mann III
    replied
    Originally posted by Duncan View Post
    Interviews with Manuel Pineiro and his association with Guevara. Mostly post revolution topics.

010.jpg
    What was the takeaway?

Leave a comment:

• Duncan
    replied
    Interesting military science fiction. Short comic book series. I have a reading copy and this one for collecting.

640.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Duncan
    replied
    Great book as long as you remember it's a narrative.

643.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Duncan
    replied
    Interviews with Manuel Pineiro and his association with Guevara. Mostly post revolution topics.

010.jpg

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X