Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A recomendation about a small but very interesting book. "Looking into hell", 20 short live of death situations involving RAF´s Bomber Command crews. Heroism, incredible luck, raw cowardice... Not one of those 800 page, reference books, but one "minor" work to admire those who served in WW2, and enjoy a captivating reading

    Comment


    • You guys ALL really need to pick up "Rogue Regime" 'Kim Jong Il And The Looming Threat of North Korea' by Jasper Becker.
      I picked this up as a new book at our local library.

      I was stunned about some of what I read in this book. Never realized that Kim Jong Il was that much of a psycho........

      Mark
      Deo Vindice
      Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you want peace, prepare for war.)

      Comment


      • Now reading "JG 26 Top Guns of the Luftwaffe". This is about Jagdgeschwader 26 "Schlageter" JG 26. This unit was dubbed by allied aircrews as the "Abbeville boys" or the "Abbeville kids", they were also known for the yellow color that they painted the noses of thier aircraft.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Priest
          Now reading "JG 26 Top Guns of the Luftwaffe". This is about Jagdgeschwader 26 "Schlageter" JG 26. This unit was dubbed by allied aircrews as the "Abbeville boys" or the "Abbeville kids", they were also known for the yellow color that they painted the noses of thier aircraft.
          I have a book on JG 26, the same one perhaps. A friend dropped it off. It has something written inside and a signature, in German. Anyone able to translate it if I post it?
          AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
          The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

          Comment


          • The Abbeville boys were certainly the most respected/feared fighter group that RAF figher command knew of in 1940-41.

            I think they went to the defence of the home land from the 'mighty eight', or then to serve on the ever demanding Eastern front later on...

            As for that short book on RAF bomber crews, could you tell the name of the author, and perhaps the isbn number? It sounds very interesting!

            Mr Poundr.

            P.s. I foung the book: TASK FORCE DAGGER (the hunt for bin laden)
            BY: ROBIN MOORE
            ISBN: 0 330 41990 0

            A refreshingly told story about the US(and a bit about the sas too) special forces (mainly green berets), in Afganistan, and also some analysis on the cituation 'after the major victory', like operation anaconda.

            It feels like you are reading a fiction book, it's so smooth, and yet, you know that all of this went on. I recommend it. Also, it give's back some of the lost glory of the Green Berets, who are amazing soldiers, they have just been kind of overshadowed by the huge influx of the new trendy sounding special forces that have popped up since the Green Berets were formed.
            "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

            If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Duncan
              I have a book on JG 26, the same one perhaps. A friend dropped it off. It has something written inside and a signature, in German. Anyone able to translate it if I post it?
              We do have a number of Germans on this board, they would probably be able to tranlate it for you. Of course if you wanted to you could go to an on-line German to English dictionary and translate it yourself.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Priest
                We do have a number of Germans on this board, they would probably be able to tranlate it for you. Of course if you wanted to you could go to an on-line German to English dictionary and translate it yourself.
                Thanks. I can't make out the handwriting very well. I will scan it and post it in a few days.

                It is signed with a name then, L.W.F J.G. 26. S (???) I think. I'm wondering if it could have been someone who actually served with the group.
                AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Priest
                  We do have a number of Germans on this board, they would probably be able to tranlate it for you. Of course if you wanted to you could go to an on-line German to English dictionary and translate it yourself.
                  Please do not use an online dictionary, their results are quite horrible for short sentences. But if you post a scan I will be happy to translate it.

                  Cheers
                  Oliver
                  Elfen haben doofe Ohren.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by D-ploy
                    Please do not use an online dictionary, their results are quite horrible for short sentences. But if you post a scan I will be happy to translate it.

                    Cheers
                    Oliver
                    Thanks. I posted it in a seperate thread HERE.
                    AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

                    Comment


                    • Figured I'd post here..

                      Well I was reading "Siege: A novel of the Eastern Front" by Russ Schneider I believe

                      Then I just finished the 8th Installment of Gaunt's Ghosts, "Traitor General"

                      And now i'm on the third installment of The Runelords series "Wizardborn"

                      Next should be "Attacks" by Erwin Rommel (In the prologue the book was not named "Infantry Attacks" until it was republished in the mid-30's)
                      The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

                      Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom
                        Figured I'd post here..

                        Well I was reading "Siege: A novel of the Eastern Front" by Russ Schneider I believe

                        Then I just finished the 8th Installment of Gaunt's Ghosts, "Traitor General"

                        And now i'm on the third installment of The Runelords series "Wizardborn"

                        Next should be "Attacks" by Erwin Rommel (In the prologue the book was not named "Infantry Attacks" until it was republished in the mid-30's)
                        I read Rommel's 'Infantry attacks' (As it was named when I got it).

                        And although it describes Rommel as a very dahsing (and very, very lucky junior officer), with endless action reports of daring attacks, from his different postings. (He got posted to the alpine region, which probably saved his life, at the rate he was going about his lightning attacks on the western front, it would have been miraculous not to get it in some way eventually.

                        Somehow, it seem's monotonous after a bit (IMHO).
                        Perhaps he was a better general than writer.

                        p.s. I dont want to seem bashing, but there is also a hint of him 'polishing his own shield' in it if you get my drift.

                        Anyway, a historically interesting book, and I belive the way that he got into Hitler's attention and the following prime spot's in command place's. Until the 'ahem' dissilusionment, and following 'suicide'...

                        I guess what I'm trying to say is that he was a good pr man for himself, nothing more nothing less.

                        See what you think!
                        Last edited by 17poundr; 02 Jun 05, 14:54.
                        "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

                        If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

                        Comment


                        • Just pulled Max Arthur’s Above All Courage off of the shelf for another go. Personal anecdotes from the 1982 Falklands War.

                          Prior to that Sharpe’s Escape the latest in Bernard Cornwell’s series and All Tigers, No Donkeys: A Citizen Soldier In Croatia, 1994-1995 by Kurt Grant. It’s basically his diary of his UN tour. Excellent read.

                          BTW anyone else's wife find it annoying when you have 2-3 books on the go at the same time?
                          What God abandoned, these defended,
                          And saved the sum of things for pay.

                          A.E. Housman
                          [ 1859-1936 ]

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by DANJANOU
                            Just pulled Max Arthur’s Above All Courage off of the shelf for another go. Personal anecdotes from the 1982 Falklands War.

                            Prior to that Sharpe’s Escape the latest in Bernard Cornwell’s series and All Tigers, No Donkeys: A Citizen Soldier In Croatia, 1994-1995 by Kurt Grant. It’s basically his diary of his UN tour. Excellent read.

                            BTW anyone else's wife find it annoying when you have 2-3 books on the go at the same time?
                            Is that a another new book?

                            Of course not Dear!
                            http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

                            Comment


                            • Reading Russia at War from Alexander Werth.
                              http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

                              Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by DANJANOU
                                Just pulled Max Arthur’s Above All Courage off of the shelf for another go. Personal anecdotes from the 1982 Falklands War.

                                Prior to that Sharpe’s Escape the latest in Bernard Cornwell’s series and All Tigers, No Donkeys: A Citizen Soldier In Croatia, 1994-1995 by Kurt Grant. It’s basically his diary of his UN tour. Excellent read.

                                BTW anyone else's wife find it annoying when you have 2-3 books on the go at the same time?
                                I have yet to read Sharpe's Escape , how was it?
                                Lance W.

                                Peace through superior firepower.

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X