This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And Wrapping It All Up, More Harry Turtledove

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• All that Turtledove reading should keep me busy for quite awhile. I'm taking a break from serious reading for a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
        All that Turtledove reading should keep me busy for quite awhile. I'm taking a break from serious reading for a bit.
        Wow!! Are you gonna read all that at once? Good stuff though.
        If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• "Blossoms In The Wind"

" -Human Legacies of the Kamikaze", Mordecai G. Sheftall, July 2005. Published by New American Library (AKA Penguin Group).
          You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
          Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
          Sneak home and pray you'll never know
          The hell where youth and laughter go.
          -Siegfried Sassoon, "Suicide in the Trenches"

Comment

• Some who know about my sevice on landing craft may be suprised that I have just read about the landings on Walcheran for the first time and what I have read makes me very glad I did not take part in it!! Aparently the landing craft crews took far heavier casualties than the commandos that were put ashore, the landing craft were torn apart by the German guns of every calibre! I am now definately going to get a good full version of the assault if any one can reccomend please?
            Last edited by lcm1; 07 Jun 09, 10:47.
            'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
            " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
              Some who know about my sevice on landing craft may be suprised that I have just read about the landings on Walcheran for the first time and what I have read makes me very glad I did not take part in it!! Aparently the landing craft crews took far heavier casualties than the commandos that were put ashore, the landing craft were torn apart by the German guns of every calibre! I am now definately going to get a good full version of the assault if any one can reccomend please?
              Ken,

Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that the landings on Walcheran by British Commandos had relatively low casualties. I thought the real fight (and most of the casualties) were on the eastern end of the island, because it could only be assaulted across a single, narrow causeway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walcheren

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Walcheren_Island
              Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

• Well Lance according to Paul Lunds 'War of the landing craft' they took terrible punishment, particularly the support craft with guns and rockets, in close well within range of the enemy guns! Plus in the early stages no air support due to bad weather.
                'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• I just started reading David Glantz' "After Stalingrad, The Red Army's Winter Offensive 1942-43".

Comment

• Originally posted by Legate View Post
                    Wow!! Are you gonna read all that at once? Good stuff though.
                    Well, one after the other. It's a long-running series.

Comment

• I've been reading On Point: The US Army in Operation Iraqi Freedom. It's hard to read -- very detailed and parts not especially interesting. It helps me fill in the gaps from my own experiences there in OIF 1. On too many occasions, I knew the what but not the why of events, or didn't have all the info I needed -- this book provides a lot of that background. Of course, I know a lot of the guys in the book as well as a lot of the details of what happened, so there is a degree of familiarity to the events/people described.

Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                      Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                      http://www.mormon.org
                      http://www.sca.org
                      http://www.scv.org/
                      http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

• Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

Comment

• Through Mobility We Conquer:The Mechanization of the US Cavalry by Dr George Hoffman
                          If you Ain't Cav,You Ain't S---

Comment

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post

Have you read the rest of the series? Either way good luck it's a really good series.
                            2013 I'm going into West Point if it kills me. 2017 (or 2012 depending on West Point) I'm joining the Airborne if it kills me and it actually might.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gidia View Post
                              Have you read the rest of the series? Either way good luck it's a really good series.
                              Yes, I'm rereading all ten books.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roadkiller View Post
                                Willis "Ching" Lee is the best part...........
                                Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X