This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bernard Fall Marathon

I am currently reading "Street without Joy" by Bernard Fall. Excellent read.
    For dessert I have "Hell in a Small Place" his book about Den Bien Phu.
    " Gentlemen , you can't fight in here! This is the War Room" :
    President Mirkin Muffley, in Dr. Strangelove.

Comment

• Originally posted by Surrey View Post
      Dreadnought
      Have you read " Castles of Steel" also by Robert K. Massie?
      Another great read.
      " Gentlemen , you can't fight in here! This is the War Room" :
      President Mirkin Muffley, in Dr. Strangelove.

Comment

• Day of Battle by Rick Atkinson

Comment

• Originally posted by irontoad View Post
          Another great read.
          You'd be hard pressed to find better written history than "Dreadnought" and "Castles Of Steel". Excellent books!
          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by irontoad View Post
            Another great read.
            Not yet. My brother has a copy, will try an borrow it after I have finished Dreadnought.

Dreadnought is definitely a good read regarding the build up to ww1.
            "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

• All the Way to Berlin by James "Maggie"Megellas the most decorated officer of the 82d Airborne Division in WW2.
              17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Comment

• 504th Parachute Infantry

Originally posted by 17thAirborneSon View Post
                All the Way to Berlin by James "Maggie"Megellas the most decorated officer of the 82d Airborne Division in WW2.
                Dig on this thread..., "Maggie" is a hell of a guy...

"Maggie Returns to Holland"

It looks like the pictures are having a struggle..., let me know if they don't work...
                "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                    Excellent book.
                    "Ultimately communism is an impossible Utopian dream imposed by hypocrites who will commit mass murder to achieve absurd goals"- Trebuchet

Comment

• Conan The Swordsman by Robert E. Howard.
                      "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• I just read 'Overlord', by Max Hastings.

I liked it, as it went beyond the beach landings, (thus being a good follow up to my first normandy book, 'D-day').

This book is quite well balanced, a good read all in all, even if not quite as fluent as 'D-day' was.
                        "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by 17poundr View Post
                          I just read 'Overlord', by Max Hastings.

I liked it, as it went beyond the beach landings, (thus being a good follow up to my first normandy book, 'D-day').

This book is quite well balanced, a good read all in all, even if not quite as fluent as 'D-day' was.
                          Why hello Nelson,

I've been reading "Armored Thunderbolt" by Steven Zaloga with plenty of references to the almighty 17pdr.............
                          Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

• Hi Nelson, I have read 'Overlord' not to impressed by Max Hastings style! Now you try Robert Kershaws 'D Day piercing the Atlantic wall' he goes inland as well, also Para's and you will see the differance!! Cheers,Lcm1.
                            'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                            " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• "Why the South Lost the Civil War" Beringer, Hattaway, Jones, & Still, jr. Over halfway through it (500 pages long) & some great discussions & arguments over some of the theories that have kicking around for over a century. Well written & organized.
                              The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

• Finally finished reading McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom after many starts and stops. Not the fault of the book though which is very good, and an easy read.
                                "When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches." - Admiral King

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X