Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Stars of Valor: The Combat History of the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment in World War II by Phil Nordyke

We Were Soldiers Once... And Young by Lt. Gen Harold G. Moore and Joeseph L. Galloway

American Soldier by Gen. Tommy Franks (Ret.)

Does anyone know of any good books about the Paratroopers at DDay?
    Last edited by Gidia; 13 Apr 09, 00:49.
    2013 I'm going into West Point if it kills me. 2017 (or 2012 depending on West Point) I'm joining the Airborne if it kills me and it actually might.

Comment

• Ambrose is good.
      Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
      (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Comment

• In October 2002, Random House published a revised and expanded version of David Kenyon Webster's Parachute Infantry: An American Paratrooper's Memoir of D-Day and the Fall of the Third Reich. This new edition includes over 100 pages of previously unpublished material, including 20 letters home, and restores some of the grittier language and actual names that were used in Webster's manuscript. It includes an introduction by the late Stephen Ambrose.

http://www.davidkenyonwebster.com/

Fascinating book.
        Shows me much about the atmosphere of the time.
        My dad experienced in the 17th AB and 82nd AB Bastoge, and OP Varsity, glider and paratrooper.
        17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Comment

• “Come and take it!"

Comment

• Just picked this up today...'Better Times Than These', by Winston Groom (Forrest Gump). I read Forrest Gump, and Groom impressed me as a good writer, but I wasn't able to find anything else by him until today. Groom was an Army infantry officer in the VN War.
            Life is precious, but also cheap. For without war, there is no peace. GS ~ A Soldier's Ghost. A Warrior's Soul.

Comment

• I just started on:

by Barrett Tillman (Author), Wesley K. Clark (Foreword)

At only 224 pages, it's likely to be a quick read. So far so good, though.
              Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Comment

• Hi Gidea, 'D Day' by Robert Kershaw is not totally about the Para's: but the part on the subject of the Airborne landings is very good! Lcm.1.
                'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Gidia View Post
                  [/IMG]
                  American Soldier by Gen. Tommy Franks (Ret.)
                  I read this one and found it interesting.

Comment

• Firestorm, a series of essays on the bombing of Dresden in 1945.
                    War is less costly than servitude

Comment

• Nemesis by Max Hastings.

Also recently finished Battle cry of freedom by James McPherson and...

..Diver by Tony Groom which is very good, a lot of stuff from his time as a clearance diver during the Falklands War.
                      HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gidia View Post

Four Stars of Valor: The Combat History of the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment in World War II by Phil Nordyke
                        "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• Beyond The Khyber Pass: The Road to British Disaster in the First Afghan War by John H. Waller.
                          "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• That sounds quite topical, given we now have the Fourth or Fifth (or any number you want) Afghan War.

Lordy, the place is really a military testing ground for the ages.

Comment

• Very interesting period in history.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone in NATO or the Pentagon and State Department knows the history of the area and it's peoples mindset.

Maybe they need to read more.
                              "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Yes, one of the ironies of history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacr...stone%27s_army with exquisite modern parallels.

I was horrified when the US and Allies moved from support of the Northern Alliance to putting feet on the ground.

When you put armed men in a place seething with testoterone fueled young men, no outlet for it in a Moslem land and an 80% unemployment rate, you are going to have a problem or two or more.

What on Earth were the planners thinking? The only good thing I can find in this is the Predator, which is oddly and ironically enough, unarmed.

Tom Holland's 'Rubicon' I read and is very good, in describing a society and eventually empire which tried every form of government (I think, barring communism though there are some early signs) known to man.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X