This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by General Staff View Post
    I have far too many stacked up but am at least on vacation from Wednesday for two weeks. I have a few books in France to go through. Also of US interest Antietam (McPherson), 1776 (McCullough), Antiquity (Cantor), Team of Rivals (Goodwin).

I'll let you know what I think when I get back the 15th, if someone reminds me as I do not post here often.
    1776 is a good book IMHO. I liked it.

Regards,
    Alex

Comment

• Originally posted by CatholicCrusade View Post
      1776 is a good book IMHO. I liked it.

Regards,
      Alex
      I concur. and Team of Rivals is also very good.

I don't think I have finished many history books since my last post...

Finished Company Commander
      pretty much read Paddy Griffith's Battle Tactics of the Civil War
      Started one of Alan Nolan's books on the Iron Brigade
      Still chugging through War of Wars (just finished the part on Trafalgar and Austerlitz)
      Trying to finish More Terrible than Victory

And I read two Star Wars books
      "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
      -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

• What do you do in your spare time?
        'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
        " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
          What do you do in your spare time?
          Normal things

Like I said most of those I have put aside for a while or read off and on. For example the Alan Nolan book I read when ever I am at my house (school holidays or sometimes Sundays)

Company Commander has been done for almost a month or so. The Paddy Griffith book was a very quick read, mostly skimming. I haven't picked up More Terrible than Victory in at least a month or two. And I only read about 5-6 pages of War of Wars on average at night when I read it.

The Two Star Wars Books were read over a weekend each - last two. because of this I didn't really touch the Nolan book at all.

Its actually not as time consuming as it sounds.

I could make a whole list of books I've started and haven't finished because I continually got side tracked on another book and then another one until I forgot about the first. My objective this summer will be to finish my zillion page biography of Hitler, same size book on the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, and my two books on Vietnam. I'll probably mix it up with the two autobiographies I have (one ACW and one WW2), and this one book on a specific US Paratrooper unit coming out in a few days.
          "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
          -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

• I don't think I would bother about Paddy Griffiths book if you think it rated only a skim through!
            'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• The Luftwaffe:Creating the operational art 1918-1940 by James S Corum
              If you Ain't Cav,You Ain't S---

Comment

• Well...I've been studying a lot of Fiction lately, something I usually don't read a lot of. Mostly I read historical accounts, auto/ bio.s, DIY/ how-to's, and periodical articles. I'm working on some Alistair Maclean, right now. First time I've read him. Finally getting around to him. 'Guns of Navarone'. A little slow getting started, been kinda busy this week. After 'Navarone', I'll be considering 'Ice Sation Zebra', and 'Where Eagles Dare' later down the road.
                Life is precious, but also cheap. For without war, there is no peace. GS ~ A Soldier's Ghost. A Warrior's Soul.

Comment

• Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Fighting techniques of the oriental world - 1200 - 1860: equipment, skills, and tactics.

Great stuff on the Mongols.
                    TTFN

Comment

• Read most of his Scott, you will like where eagles dare, and follow it with The eagle has flown!
                      'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• My attempt at Sir Richard Burton is on hiatus after i busted my brain trying to read. (The fact it was printed from Gutenburg didnt help).

My second book on the go (The first being Winnies The World Crisis - still. The second usually being a novel or travel writing for relaxation) is now a re-reading of Bury my heart at Wounded Knee.

Im being lazy by re-reading i know but hey ho im young-ish.

Comment

• Right after tax season ends I'm going to tackle Atlas Shrugged. I have several friends that recommended it to me.
                          God Save The Republic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scout32 View Post
                            The Luftwaffe:Creating the operational art 1918-1940 by James S Corum
                            Slight correction.It's The Luftwaffe:Creating the operational air war 1918-1940.It's what happens when I try posting from memory
                            If you Ain't Cav,You Ain't S---

Comment

• 'Kolyma Tales'. Shalamov. Only wouldn't you know it I left it on the plane today back from holiday with a few pages left to go.

Utterly brilliant IMO, and will get a new copy to finish, but a very depressing insight into the depths of human nature. Perhaps a Freudian 'slip' on my part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kolyma_Tales
                              Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
                              (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Comment

• Sir Richard, was and is too much for me!!
                                'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X