This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just about to start on this bad boy. Free from Gutenberg of course

Been wanting to read some of his stuff for years but never got round to it.... Now i just have to find the time, as i still havent finished Winnies The Crisis yet.

Comment

• Hi A.P. I'd stick with Winnies 'The Crisis' I think! Use the other one as a sleeping potion!!!
      Last edited by lcm1; 23 Mar 09, 08:57.
      'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
      " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• Recently finished Nemesis by Max Hastings - this is the companion piece to his earlier book about the victory in Europe and deals with war with Japan. As with is other books this is a excellent piece.

One of the best things about him is his willingness to take and defend a position on major historical questions. His criticism of people who claim that the two atomic bombs were in some way uniquely horrible events is very sharp and right on the money.

He puts a lot of emphasis on the fact that by 1945 many on the allies side were jockeying for post war positions both internationally and between services.

I wish all military historians were as willing to address unpleasant topics as honestly as Hastings does and were as willing to place events in context.
        What would Occam say?

Comment

• Just started it. TV series differs from it in some areas.

Comment

• This Mighty Scourge -Perspectives on the Civil War by J. McPherson.
            I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• Hi Bill, like I have said before about Max Hastings, he is a very good writer but he allows himself to be carried away at times by his own personal opinions, therefore unravelling history as such!!
              'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• Well it does seem to be a hard read. Most things from the 1850s were but he was one hell of an explorer, even if a bit ignorant.

Churchill is given me a good read so far and i will read others of his too. Its amazing how much one man was involved in during his lifetime.

Comment

• Hi A.P. Didn't he take part in a famous cavelry charge as a young man?
                  'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                    Hi A.P. Didn't he take part in a famous cavelry charge as a young man?
                    Yes he was involved in the charge of Omdurman during the 1898 reconquest of the Sudan. Riding with the lancers of the 21st. Always amazed me that the lancers were around thzen, so close to the days of armour and airpower. Well i actually remember pics of Deutscher Lancers from 1914.

Very fascinating man. Too easily picked on by some in my opinion. Rightly so that he got Best Briton.

Comment

• The Battle For History: Re-fighting World War II
                      by John Keegan
                      "To be defeated and not submit, is victory; to be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat."
                      --Marshal Józef Piłsudski

Comment

• Re fighting WW2.?? Sounds a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted to me!!
                        'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• Thanks A.P. Although I was not a great lover of his Politics as a man and a patriot he was a one and only!!
                          'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• re-reading ''monty's'' A History of Warfare

Comment

• Homage to Catalonia - George Orwell. Short account of his experience in the Spanish Civil War circa 1937? Heck, he went there with intentions of doing some reporting but then joined one of the Republican militia and had some combat....even got shot in the neck. I did not know the half of it.
                              I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                                Re fighting WW2.?? Sounds a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted to me!!
                                He's referring to the on-going controversies regarding various aspects of the war. In particular, he refers to the disputes regarding the causes of the conflict in wake of AJP Taylor's Origins of the Second World War.

Originally posted by ktnbs View Post
                                Homage to Catalonia - George Orwell.
                                That's a very good book.
                                "To be defeated and not submit, is victory; to be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat."
                                --Marshal Józef Piłsudski

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X