Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All American All The Way: 82nd Airborne Division in WWII by Philip Nordyke.
    "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain General View Post

All American All The Way: 82nd Airborne Division in WWII by Philip Nordyke.
      Have you been to Phil's website?

http://www.allamerican82nd.com/
      "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• I have now.

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• I just picked up this old paperback at the library yesterday, 'The Ugly American'. Copyright 1958. I was not familiar with the book until now, what can I say? I'm starved for good reading material. I'm about 45 pages into the book. This promises to be a good read. Interesting at least. Anyone else familiar with the book?
          Life is precious, but also cheap. For without war, there is no peace. GS ~ A Soldier's Ghost. A Warrior's Soul.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain General View Post

I have now.
            I got some e-mails from him a couple of years ago, after I was tipped off to his site by a 504th veteran and a historian. I figured two different references was enough to look him up. Turned out he was a member of the 504th Strike Hold Forum I was too, so I sent him some pictures of my grampa to add to his stuff.

His list of WWII veterans is one of the most complete I know of when it comes to the 82nd Airborne.
            "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• Flags of Our Fathers

Excellent read. Haven't seen the film yet? Any comments about the film
              is it true to the author? I read in one evening, just couldn't put it down.
              Turns out it was 64 years to the day when Iwo Jima Battle occurred.

http://www.randomhouse.com/features/...ey/index3.html

Web page is interesting.
              17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Comment

• Read the book and saw the film. I think it is posted on Youtube but not sure.

The book is better in my opinion.

Most people like the film though.

Letters from Iwo Jima is not bad either. Shows the battle from the Japanese side.

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• "By Order of the President," by W.E.B. Griffin. First in the Presidential Agent series. "Black Ops," the most recent book in that series, just came out.

Comment

• Originally posted by CatholicCrusade View Post
                    "By Order of the President," by W.E.B. Griffin. First in the Presidential Agent series. "Black Ops," the most recent book in that series, just came out.
                    Great series,I've read the first three books. Almost as good as Brotherhood and The Corps books.
                    If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• Originally posted by Legate View Post
                      Great series,I've read the first three books. Almost as good as Brotherhood and The Corps books.
                      Yes, I'm enjoying them so far. About half-way done with By Order of the President. They've certainly caused my interest in the possibility of a career with the CIA to resurface! First I have to worry about the SAT though...

Regards,
                      Alex

Comment

• I raided my father-in-law's bookshelf the other day. I just finished Arthur C Clarke's collection of short stories The Wind of the Sun and have started an Asimov collection The Early Asimov. The first story was written in 1940. It's interesting reading short stories from the 1970s, 1960s, and earlier as they speculate on future (to them) developments in race relations, the Cold War, energy, etc...
                        AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                        The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• "Afghanistan: A Military History from Alexander the Great to the Fall of the Taliban" Stephen Tanner Da Capo Press
                          Boston Strong!

Comment

• Reading the novel, "Child 44". Chillingly precise look into post-WWII Russia under Stalin through the eyes of an MGB officer. It's the author's first novel and he can already tell a compelling story with graphic writing techniques--realistic scenes with insights that will not easily slip your memory. Anyone know what camphor oil does in the human bloodstream?
                            Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 09 Mar 09, 15:20.
                            Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• The Afghan-Frederick Forsyth & Rocky Marciano: Biography of a First Son- Everett M. Skehan
                              Life is precious, but also cheap. For without war, there is no peace. GS ~ A Soldier's Ghost. A Warrior's Soul.

Comment

• Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
                                Reading the novel, "Child 44". Chillingly precise look into post-WWII Russia under Stalin through the eyes of an MGB officer. It's the author's first novel and he can already tell a compelling story with graphic writing techniques--realistic scenes with insights that will not easily slip your memory. Anyone know what camphor oil does in the human bloodstream?
                                Only know it by reputation but haven't read it yet; will read it now Pray tell: what does camphor oil do in the human bloodstream? Or do I not want to know
                                BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X