X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm reading 2 book on italian army in the WW2:
    Rochat, Le guerre italiane 1935-43 and
    MacGregor, Mussolini Unleashed, 1939-41
    but...I'm searching a book on the the French-indochinese war: someone could help me about this?

Comment

• 'The Ascent of Money' by Niall Ferguson
      "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

• I just started reading Mutiny by David Hagberg. Just borrowed it from the library for another two weeks and I might buy it too since it's very informative and a good book

"You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

• I am reading;

Nonfiction- Redcoat by Richard Holmes,Covers the British Army from Wolfe to the Crimean War.

Fiction- Under the Eagle by Simon Scarrow,about Roman legionaires at 42 A.D.
          If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• Originally posted by Legate View Post
            I am reading;

Non-fiction- Redcoat by Richard Holmes, Covers the British Army from Wolfe to the Crimean War.

at 42 A.D.
            A very good book; measured & well researched.

Do you agree with me that in the opening chapter of: 1 THE AGE OF BROWN BESS 'THAT ARTICLE THERE' Holmes paints a superb personal & atmospheric picture of the Napoleonic British infantry and infantryman, Ezekiel Hobden of the 37th (North Hampshire) regiment.
            The only other book that I found gave such a feeling and atmosphere for the period, is the opening chapter of the Anatomy of Glory, the vignettes in Arthur Bryant’s Napoleonic trilogy or CV. Wedgwood’s Kings Peace/ War.
            The literary brush is, ‘in my opinion, as skilled as an artist deft touch.

Paul
            ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
            All human ills he can subdue,
            Or with a bauble or medal
            Can win mans heart for you;
            And many a blessing know to stew
            To make a megloamaniac bright;
            Give honour to the dainty Corse,
            The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
              A very good book; measured & well researched.

Do you agree with me that in the opening chapter of: 1 THE AGE OF BROWN BESS 'THAT ARTICLE THERE' Holmes paints a superb personal & atmospheric picture of the Napoleonic British infantry and infantryman, Ezekiel Hobden of the 37th (North Hampshire) regiment.
              The only other book that I found gave such a feeling and atmosphere for the period, is the opening chapter of the Anatomy of Glory, the vignettes in Arthur Bryant’s Napoleonic trilogy or CV. Wedgwood’s Kings Peace/ War.
              The literary brush is, ‘in my opinion, as skilled as an artist deft touch.

Paul
              I quite agree with you,I had to stop reading the book a couple of times to look at the cover to make sure I wasn't reading a novel.

This is my first Holmes book and I have to say he is most excellent. He may be one of the best historians of the British Army. I am going to make a point to acquire more of his books.
              If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• Originally posted by Legate View Post
                I quite agree with you, I had to stop reading the book a couple of times to look at the cover to make sure I wasn't reading a novel.

This is my first Holmes book and I have to say he is most excellent. He may be one of the best historians of the British Army. I am going to make a point to acquire more of his books.
                He has also done quite a few Military History Programmes on battles from different periods under the collective title of War Walks and a Six One hour series on the life of the Duke of Wellington. Even though Holmes admits in the programme that the Duke is his hero, Holmes never shy’s away from pointing out the Duke's military & political faults, his stubborn & cruel streaks,(to some of his Officers and his Wife)and the fact that as his fame gathered, so did his ego.
                Holmes is also a very good TV presenter & narrator. Mind you, I suppose this talent has been honed through his lecturing in the British army & other venues.

I only have one other book by Holmes in my collection, and that is TOMMY
                'The British Soldier on the Western Front; 1914-1918. ISBN: 0-00-713751-6
                The Book open's in the same vein as Redcoat but this time It's a scene on the Morning of the 2nd of April 1917 at a place called Croisilles, between Arras and Bapaume. A certain Thomas Atkins of No 2 Platoon, A Company, 2nd Battalion The Queen's Royal West Surry Regiment, is about to go over the top. ‘Again, the book is another Excellent tome & well illustrated with maps, photo's etc and is seven hundred and odd pages long.

Paul
                Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 18 Feb 09, 00:45.

Comment

He has also done quite a few Military History Programmes on battles from different periods under the collective title of War Walks and a Six One hour series on the life of the Duke of Wellington. Even though Holmes admits in the programme that the Duke is his hero, Holmes never shy’s away from pointing out the Duke's military & political faults, his stubborn & cruel streaks,(to some of his Officers and his Wife)and the fact that as his fame gathered, so did his ego.
                  Holmes is also a very good TV presenter & narrator. Mind you, I suppose this talent has been honed through his lecturing in the British army & other venues.

I only have one other book by Holmes in my collection, and that is TOMMY
                  'The British Soldier on the Western Front; 1914-1918. ISBN: 0-00-713751-6
                  The Book open's in the same vein as Redcoat but this time It's a scene on the Morning of the 2nd of April 1917 at a place called Croisilles, between Arras and Bapaume. A certain Thomas Atkins of No 2 Platoon, A Company, 2nd Battalion The Queen's Royal West Surry Regiment, is about to go over the top. ‘Again, the book is another Excellent tome & well illustrated with maps, photo's etc and is seven hundred and odd pages long.

Paul
                  The WW1 book looks interesting Dibby!!
                  'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                  " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

If you really want to get a real feel for the Battle of Britain, then you should get that brilliant book; The Battle of Britain 'Then and Now' ISBN: 0900913460.
                    The book tells you all you need to know, with thousands of original photo's of fighter/sector stations, operations rooms, aerodromes, aircraft losses of both sides, the Runneymede & Polish memorials, extant Battle of Britain aircraft & Memorial flight, RAF & Luftwaffe aircraft index, accounts of all the aircraft lost by date, reason, and if the crew survived & aviation archaeology,
                    a tribute to the few and finally the main section itself; The Few, which is a collection of photo's of those that gave their lives for WORLD FREEDOM.

If you really study the photo's of those fresh faced young men, (in the true sense, hero's) It will bring home just how young, human, and international they all were, all with their whole lives & expectations ahead of them, and loving families who must have been devastated at such a loss of a dear, dear son.

All the photo's come with a short account of their lives and the way that they tragically lost it. (Including one poor soul who crashed into an isolated wood and took days to die) Also accompanying most of the photo's are pictures of private graves that are still tended too, and those that have been neglected but are now being preserved by a dedicated historical society.

The other interesting thing about the book is all the wreckage (and sometimes occupants) that has been found by WW2 Aircraft archaeologists.
                    If any remains of the pilots are found 'Allied or Axis, they are buried with full military honours.

Though this book is about the Battle of Britain, it can stand as testament to the suffering that war brings to all, and the ultimate futility that war is but NOT the sacrifices given for freedom.

Paul
                    Highly seconded and worth this mega-quote

Comment

• A condensed history of the Foreign Legion from inception to the present.
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• General Kutepov, A collection of articles, Memorial Committee for General Kutepov, 1934. 378 pgs.

Memorial for General Aleksandr Pavlovich Kutepov, former White Russian General kidnapped off the streets of Paris in 1930 and presumably murdered.

Providing a translation on my blog
                        http://skoblin.blogspot.com/
                        Last edited by Skoblin; 18 Feb 09, 19:39.

Comment

• A Lot Of Reading To Do

Picked these up at our church rummage sale for $8.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                            The WW1 book looks interesting Dibby!!
                            Well worth the 20 Quid mate!

Paul

Comment

• Originally posted by Redwolf View Post
                              Highly seconded and worth this mega-quote
                              Yes many of them teenagers of course, straight from learning to fly to replace shortages in squadrons and up to take part for the first and in many cases the last time in the battle!
                              'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                                Picked these up at our church rummage sale for $8.

Yes I remember picking up many a good book at rummage sales, my wife used to rummage through feminine things and I would go straight to the books!!
                                'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X