Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once more may I recomend D-Day. Piercing the Atlantic wall. By Robert Kershaw. Any one that wants to read FACTS without making their eyes glaze over this is the book!! He intersperses the facts with actual personal accounts ( from both sides) In my opinion the best since 'The longest Day'.
    Last edited by lcm1; 12 Feb 09, 00:30.
    'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
    " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
      Once more may I recomend D-Day. Piercing the Atlantic wall. By Robert Kershaw. Any one that wants to read FACTS without making their eyes glaze over this is the book!! He intersperses the facts with actual personal accounts ( from both sides) In my opinion the best since 'The longest Day'.
      I've just ordered a copy from Abe Books for four quid. I hope it's as good as your ringing endorsement says and I will post my assessment when I'm done reading it.

Paul
      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
      All human ills he can subdue,
      Or with a bauble or medal
      Can win mans heart for you;
      And many a blessing know to stew
      To make a megloamaniac bright;
      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
      The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
        I've just ordered a copy from Abe Books for four quid. I hope it's as good as your ringing endorsement says and I will post my assessment when I'm done reading it.

Paul
        Ah Paul, at last someone out there is listening! I am sure you will like it. If you don't do not post me your bill!!! Ken.
        'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• My Guderian Phase

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Ah Paul, at last someone out there is listening! I am sure you will like it. If you don't do not post me your bill!!! Ken.
            You paid your bill in the 1940s.

Paul

Comment

• Recently finished:

Easy Company Soldier by Don Malarkey
              Seven Roads to Hell by Don Burgett (almost done)

I have about a half dozen books that I have picked up read about half and then put down or got side tracked.

Picked back up The War of Wars last night.
              "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
              -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

• Originally posted by Airchallenged View Post
                Recently finished:

Easy Company Soldier by Don Malarkey
                Seven Roads to Hell by Don Burgett (almost done)

I have about a half dozen books that I have picked up read about half and then put down or got side tracked.

Picked back up The War of Wars last night.
                Have tried that but found I lose the flow of the book and consequently do not enjoy it so much!
                'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Have tried that but found I lose the flow of the book and consequently do not enjoy it so much!
                  Yeah I have a weird multitasking ability when it comes to reading. I can read up to three books at a time as long as the topics aren't too similar. After that I just get confused and it doesn't become enjoyable.
                  "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
                  -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

• The BIG yearly book sale is next weekend. I shall skim through this thread for book ideas. Hardback books as cheap as $1. I'm going to load up.

Anyone have any recomendations for WWII and Napoleon books? I have a limited knowledge of these areas, well lots of areas, but wouldn't know where to begin. What are good books to start with?
                    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress. ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• Originally posted by Freya View Post
                      The BIG yearly book sale is next weekend. I shall skim through this thread for book ideas. Hardback books as cheap as $1. I'm going to load up.

Anyone have any recomendations for WWII and Napoleon books? I have a limited knowledge of these areas, well lots of areas, but wouldn't know where to begin. What are good books to start with?
                      If you go onto the appropriate forums within this site, you will find many reputable book suggestions.

Paul

Comment

The BIG yearly book sale is next weekend. I shall skim through this thread for book ideas. Hardback books as cheap as $1. I'm going to load up.

I have recently recomended a VERY good book (WW2) to DIBBY will not mention the name again or he'll go mad but look it up it is quite recent!
                        'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

I have recently recomended a VERY good book (WW2) to DIBBY will not mention the name again or he'll go mad but look it up it is quite recent!
                          Thanks LCM1. I put it on my "to buy" book list.

Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress. ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• I'm reading an interesting magazine called: "Tactical weapons".

It's an interesting combo of a gun magazine for law and military, and also other stuff on military hardware, in this issue appart from the very interesting gun articles, there is one about the lynx helicopter and the MRLS-ATACAMS artillery/surface to surface missile system.

I hope that they grow from here and we will have a very interesting magazine for checking out modern military kit!
                            "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Thanks LCM1. I put it on my "to buy" book list.

For the Napoleonic period get; 'The Campaigns of Napoleon. by David G Chandler. It has almost 1200 pages with Maps, illustrations etc and is a recommendation that many Napoleonic buffs would give. But, don't stop their; the Napoleonic period has been written about by countless scholars, about all aspects of the times, 'Military, political, maritime and social, and will keep you 'busy' for the next 200 years or more.

Paul

Comment

• Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                                For the Napoleonic period get; 'The Campaigns of Napoleon. by David G Chandler. It has almost 1200 pages with Maps, illustrations etc and is a recommendation that many Napoleonic buffs would give. But, don't stop their; the Napoleonic period has been written about by countless scholars, about all aspects of the times, 'Military, political, maritime and social, and will keep you 'busy' for the next 200 years or more.

Paul
                                Thanks Paul. My list is growing. I know there is sooooo much written on both the subjects. That's why I asked where is a good place to start for someone who doesn't have an in depth knowledge of these subjects. I fear some of the books would be too deep for me right now and may not make sense without a good over all knowledge first. Kind of like studying math I suspect. Have to learn basic math before one can do algebra, then trig, then calculus. Have to have a good base first.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X