Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by 17poundr View Post
    i started a very juicy book: "THE YOM KIPPUR WAR, the epic encounter that transformed the middle east". By: Abraham Rabinovich.
    Schocken Books, New York.

    It's worth the read, belive me, if you were pretty ignorant about the war, only knowing the main outlines, then this is for you! Four starś...
    Hey Nelson,

    That one's been in my "to read" pile for over a year now (I don't know why it keeps getting pushed back). Let me know what you think of it.

    thanks, Lance
    Lance W.

    Peace through superior firepower.

    Comment


    • The Great Gamble; The Soviet War In Afghanistan, by Gregory Feifer

      http://www.amazon.com/Great-Gamble-S.../dp/0061143189

      Review
      "Feifer brings to life in spirited detail the bloody, eight-year struggle that killed a million Afghans and tens of thousands of Russians and broke the back of the Soviet Union, which disappeared within two years of the war's end. You think it can't happen to us? Read Feifer."
      I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

      Comment


      • Am going back into my ancient history mode ie. western and shall begin with this......


        THE HISTORY OF HERODOTUS
        by Herodotus


        translated by George Rawlinson
        The First Book, Entitled
        CLIO

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
          I have just started a re-read of The Art of Renaissance Warfare: 'From the fall of Constantinople to the Thirty Years War '1453-1618' by Stephen Turnbull. ISBN: 1853676764
          Its a very good overview book, with a chapter on the three famous French knights of the era 'that spanned more than 100 years, Pierre Tenaille, (Chevalier Bayard) Blaise de Monluc and Francois de la Noue.

          If you want a good "grounding" in this period; then get this book.

          Paul
          Paul,
          Sounds very interesting, glad you're enjoying it. I love medieval history and mil. history...interesting stuff.

          Right now I'm reading With Wings Like Eagles the new book on the Battle of Britain by Michael Korda. Very interesting book that looks at how decisions made before WWII by Germany and especially Britain regarding air strategy affected the battle; for example, the Germans' and Goring's infatuation with building numerous schnellbombers such as the Do-17 instead of focusing on heavier bombers. Meanwhile faster, better fighters such as the Spitfire had been developed. In short, the Luftwaffe was too tactical.

          One thing I didn't know was that Prime Minister Baldwin was responsible for installing--in 1937--the British radar system that would play a key role in the Battle of Britain. Very interesting!!

          Regards,
          Alex
          Attached Files

          Comment


          • The Myth of the Great War by John Mosier

            and Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy
            The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.
            Ulysses S. Grant

            Comment


            • Tank Reno-Russki (Russian Renault tank manual) by M. Fatianov, 1923.


              Comment


              • Skoblin, that looks like a real page turner! What's the plot?
                Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                  Skoblin, that looks like a real page turner! What's the plot?


                  Original training manual on the engine and transmission system of the Russian version of the French Renault FT-17 tank, but with a Fiat engine. I'm still waiting for this to be turned into a movie.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by skoblin View Post


                    Original training manual on the engine and transmission system of the Russian version of the French Renault FT-17 tank, but with a Fiat engine. I'm still waiting for this to be turned into a movie.
                    I heard the guy who directed 300 has been tagged to direct.
                    "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

                    Homer


                    BoRG

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by skoblin View Post
                      French Renault FT-17 tank, but with a Fiat engine.
                      a real war-machine
                      A ME LE GUARDIE
                      "Di noi treṃ la nostra vecchia gloria. Tre secoli di fede e una vittoria". Gabriele D'Annunzio

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Granatiere View Post
                        a real war-machine
                        4 cylinder, 33 hp engine capable of going from 0 to 8 km/h in about 15 minutes. Can you feel the power?
                        Last edited by Skoblin; 10 Feb 09, 13:24.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                          I heard the guy who directed 300 has been tagged to direct.
                          You are misinformed. It is actually going to be the director of Death Race 2000

                          The Russian combat lawnmower...in its natural habitat...the tail is detachable to enable quick escape from predators

                          Last edited by Skoblin; 10 Feb 09, 13:29.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by skoblin View Post
                            You are misinformed. It is actually going to be the director of Death Race 2000

                            The Russian combat lawnmower...in its natural habitat...the tail is detachable to enable quick escape from predators

                            That thing gives me nightmares!
                            Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

                            Comment


                            • Belisarius I: Thunder at Dawn

                              by Eric Flint & David Drake
                              If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by CatholicCrusade View Post
                                Paul,
                                Sounds very interesting, glad you're enjoying it. I love medieval history and mil. history...interesting stuff.

                                Right now I'm reading With Wings Like Eagles the new book on the Battle of Britain by Michael Korda. Very interesting book that looks at how decisions made before WWII by Germany and especially Britain regarding air strategy affected the battle; for example, the Germans' and Goring's infatuation with building numerous schnellbombers such as the Do-17 instead of focusing on heavier bombers. Meanwhile faster, better fighters such as the Spitfire had been developed. In short, the Luftwaffe was too tactical.

                                One thing I didn't know was that Prime Minister Baldwin was responsible for installing--in 1937--the British radar system that would play a key role in the Battle of Britain. Very interesting!!

                                Regards,
                                Alex
                                If you really want to get a real feel for the Battle of Britain, then you should get that brilliant book; The Battle of Britain 'Then and Now' ISBN: 0900913460.
                                The book tells you all you need to know, with thousands of original photo's of fighter/sector stations, operations rooms, aerodromes, aircraft losses of both sides, the Runneymede & Polish memorials, extant Battle of Britain aircraft & Memorial flight, RAF & Luftwaffe aircraft index, accounts of all the aircraft lost by date, reason, and if the crew survived & aviation archaeology,
                                a tribute to the few and finally the main section itself; The Few, which is a collection of photo's of those that gave their lives for WORLD FREEDOM.

                                If you really study the photo's of those fresh faced young men, (in the true sense, hero's) It will bring home just how young, human, and international they all were, all with their whole lives & expectations ahead of them, and loving families who must have been devastated at such a loss of a dear, dear son.

                                All the photo's come with a short account of their lives and the way that they tragically lost it. (Including one poor soul who crashed into an isolated wood and took days to die) Also accompanying most of the photo's are pictures of private graves that are still tended too, and those that have been neglected but are now being preserved by a dedicated historical society.

                                The other interesting thing about the book is all the wreckage (and sometimes occupants) that has been found by WW2 Aircraft archaeologists.
                                If any remains of the pilots are found 'Allied or Axis, they are buried with full military honours.

                                Though this book is about the Battle of Britain, it can stand as testament to the suffering that war brings to all, and the ultimate futility that war is but NOT the sacrifices given for freedom.

                                Paul
                                ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                                All human ills he can subdue,
                                Or with a bauble or medal
                                Can win mans heart for you;
                                And many a blessing know to stew
                                To make a megloamaniac bright;
                                Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                                The Pixie is a little shite.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X