Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A World of Trouble: The White House and the Middle East--from the Cold War to the War on Terror by Patrick Tyler.

http://www.amazon.com/World-Trouble-.../dp/0374292892
    I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• "Terrible Fate: Ethnic Cleansing in the Making of Modern Europe" by Benjamin Lieberman. Very enlightening.
      "Ultimately communism is an impossible Utopian dream imposed by hypocrites who will commit mass murder to achieve absurd goals"- Trebuchet

Comment

• Among the Dead Cities: The History and Moral Legacy of the World War II Bombing of Civilians in Germany and Japan by A.C. Grayling.

Excellent book!! Five stars.

It unbiasedly examines the history of the Allied bombing campaign in both the ETO and PTO, and then discusses the experience of the bombed, the mind of the bomber and the Allies, the cases for strategic bombing, and the case against strategic bombing (which the author personally takes). It debunks the myths that strategic bombing won the war, that strategic bombing was worth it, and that strategic bombing was necessary and morally defensible and acceptable.

The author is a philosopher and thus comes down against strategic bombing (as do I, for many reasons); yet he is not a pacifist and admits that as a boy he dreamed of flying in the RAF. In many ways his views are my own: deep respect for veterans and military personnel, love of military things, but at the same time having a sense of philosophical and moral truths, and a dislike of strategic bombing during WWII.

In short, a wrong perpetrated in response to a greater wrong is still a wrong.

Alex
        Attached Files

Comment

• THE ART OF WAR
          Great commanders of the Ancient and Medieval world
          1500BC-1600AD

Andrew Roberts,Editor

Major kudos to MajorSennef for bringing this to the forums attention!!
          If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• 'D Day (Piercing the Atlantic wall' by Robert Kershaw, thought I had them all but not this one! Apart from facts and figures personal stories from both sides, Excellant!!
            'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
            " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• i started a very juicy book: "THE YOM KIPPUR WAR, the epic encounter that transformed the middle east". By: Abraham Rabinovich.
              Schocken Books, New York.

It's worth the read, belive me, if you were pretty ignorant about the war, only knowing the main outlines, then this is for you! Four starś...
              "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• I have just started a re-read of The Art of Renaissance Warfare: 'From the fall of Constantinople to the Thirty Years War '1453-1618' by Stephen Turnbull. ISBN: 1853676764
                Its a very good overview book, with a chapter on the three famous French knights of the era 'that spanned more than 100 years, Pierre Tenaille, (Chevalier Bayard) Blaise de Monluc and Francois de la Noue.

If you want a good "grounding" in this period; then get this book.

Paul
                ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                All human ills he can subdue,
                Or with a bauble or medal
                Can win mans heart for you;
                And many a blessing know to stew
                To make a megloamaniac bright;
                Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• Originally posted by 17poundr View Post
                  i started a very juicy book: "THE YOM KIPPUR WAR, the epic encounter that transformed the middle east". By: Abraham Rabinovich.
                  Schocken Books, New York.

It's worth the read, belive me, if you were pretty ignorant about the war, only knowing the main outlines, then this is for you! Four starś...
                  OOOH, he can speak latin too!!!
                  'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• The Western Way of War: Infantry Battle in Classical Greece.
                    VD Hanson

Comment

• Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                      OOOH, he can speak latin too!!!
                      Eh? I never heard of a book called 'ooh he can speak latin too'...???

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

'D Day (Piercing the Atlantic wall' by Robert Kershaw, thought I had them all but not this one! Apart from facts and figures personal stories from both sides, Excellant!!
                        Ooh, he can be arrogant in English too!

Comment

• Originally posted by 17poundr View Post
                          Ooh, he can be arrogant in English too!
                          Obviously you have very little sense of humour!!( Laugh and the World laughs with you mate!)
                          Last edited by lcm1; 04 Feb 09, 20:10.
                          'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• Currently reading : "The war for all the Oceans. from Nelsonat the Nile to Napoleon at Waterloo." by Roy Adkins and Lesley Adkins.

A brilliantly written book covering the world's Naval conflicts of the period. Full of interesting anecdotes and acurate accounts of the stuggle for control of the sea.
                            "Remember Nelson"

B.R.

Comment

• String Thoery For Idiots - no joke.
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Obviously you have very little sense of humour!!( Laugh and the World laughs with you mate!)
                                Sorry! I took the whole thing in the wrong way! Nevermind eh?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Snowshoveler
                                  Attack against Saudi Arabia
                                  by Snowshoveler
                                  Saudi Arabia’s oil infrastructure was attacked by around 10 armed drones by Yemens Houthi rebels and has caused SA to lose half their oil production....
                                  Yesterday, 17:56
                                • hobo9
                                  C-123B
                                  by hobo9
                                  Would anyone know the wheel and tire sizes (NLG & MLG) for the Fairchild C-123B Provider?
                                  Thank you,
                                  P.N....
                                  Yesterday, 17:22
                                • Mountain Man
                                  Here Comes The Gas Gouge!
                                  by Mountain Man
                                  Drone strike on Saudi oil fields...the perfect excuse for another round of gas price hikes. And I'll bet all that "excess capacity" just magically...
                                  Yesterday, 16:30
                                Working...
                                X