This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.
    "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Marines View Post
      The Winter War by Bill Trotter.
      Marines??
      'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
      " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• Piercing the Reich. Wow! Lot going on and many people to keep track of. What an effort by the allied forces!
        Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress. ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• Just finished Champlain's Dream by David H. Fischer.

Currently reading Beverwijck: A Dutch Village on the American Frontier, 1652-1664 by Janny Venema.
          "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Comment

• Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
            Marines??
            No, it's about the Russo-Finnish War of 1939-1940. Very good.
            Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Great Book So Far!

Comment

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                I have stood two times with this book in my hands, but because of limited time I decided against buying it. Should I?
                BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Finished Mellenthin's Panzer Battles.

And started and finished the excellent Osprey book "Italian Aces of World War II."

Now I've got three other Osprey books to read: Italian Army in Africa, 1940-1943; Italian Army in Europe, 1940-1943; and the Austro-Hungarian Army in World War I, 1917-1918, if I remember right....

Also reading "Signs of the Times," a book by a priest on the Catholic Church, Vatican II, and what went wrong in the Church after Vatican II.

Anyway, happy reading to you all!

Regards,
                  Alex
                  CC

Comment

• Originally posted by captainsennef View Post
                    I have stood two times with this book in my hands, but because of limited time I decided against buying it. Should I?

Overall, I would say yes. From the reviews I have read, it does contain a plethora of archival facts and statistics pertaining to the Eastern Front. However, just to warn you, there are some places where the writing is awkward or badly done, and sometimes the author goes into a bit too much depth than is necessary. I though about buying it too; it is probably worth about $20-25 or so.

I'd read some of the reviews on Amazon.com first, though.

As a short and funny aside, I originally asked to review this book for ACG when I was sent a list of stuff that needed to be reviewed about two months ago....however, someone else beat me to it, so I had to choose to review another book, "Alamo in the Ardennes," which unfortunately still hasn't arrived.....

Regards,
                    Alex
                    CC

Comment

• Originally posted by captainsennef View Post
                      I agree with CC's assessment of the book, but it does contain some interesting details. The author does a decent job of disproving the long held belief that Stalin 'disappeared' during the early days of Barbarossa and also refuting the recent charges that he was planning a 'pre-emptive' invasion of German held Poland in 1941. But CC is definitely right in that the author goes into too much detail on some things. I'm about 250 pages in and the battle for Moscow is just beginning. I'm wondering how he's going to cover 3 1/2 years of war in the remaining 400 or so pages.

I don't regret buying it though. I'd recommend it.

Comment

• Development of Piston Aero Engines by Bill Gunston

The Coldest Winter by David Halberstam

Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy by Ian W. Toll

In the Shadow of the Moon: A Challenging Journey to Tranquility, 1965-1969by Francis French, Colin Burgess, and Walter Cunningham

Comment

• Philip Haigh: Military Campaigns of the Wars of the Roses.

The book concentrates on the main battles of the conflict, each with two or more maps. Easy to read & good as a quick reference guide.

Paul
                          ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                          All human ills he can subdue,
                          Or with a bauble or medal
                          Can win mans heart for you;
                          And many a blessing know to stew
                          To make a megloamaniac bright;
                          Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                          The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• The Shell Game by Anton.

If you want to wake up sweating in the middle of the night, read this one. Based on a great deal of research, it puts everything from 9/11 and the Patriot Act to the consistent lies of Big Oil under the microscope, and leaves you understanding just how easy it is for our nation to betray us all "for the good of the people".
                            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              The Shell Game by Anton.

If you want to wake up sweating in the middle of the night, read this one. Based on a great deal of research, it puts everything from 9/11 and the Patriot Act to the consistent lies of Big Oil under the microscope, and leaves you understanding just how easy it is for our nation to betray us all "for the good of the people".
                              It will make a change from doing the same whenever I have a nightmare dreaming about my EX

Paul
                              ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                              All human ills he can subdue,
                              Or with a bauble or medal
                              Can win mans heart for you;
                              And many a blessing know to stew
                              To make a megloamaniac bright;
                              Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                              The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                                It will make a change from doing the same whenever I have a nightmare dreaming about my EX

Paul
                                I get those all the time!
                                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X