This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by last_cav1971
    ............."Liberalism is a Mental Disorder" by Michael Savage.
    So true, so true.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-ploy
      I read this some years ago and still think that it is amazing. Have fun reading it.

Oliver
      Thanks Oliver!!!

Comment

• Hello,

As you may know it I'm French, and I read a lot of book about May June 1940 but in French

For those who can read it, you can have a deep look to

- Comme des lions 1940 by Dominique Lormier (to stop the myth of a non fighting french army -> 100.000 deads in 40 days)

- La Campagne de 1940, a book which is the result of a big colloque in Paris about the French defeat

-Le mythe de la guerre eclair de Karl Heinz Fireser. The author is a German Colonel of the German Army History center. He demonstrates in this book that the Blitkrieg was not a planned will and decision of Adolf Hitler, but more strategical decision leaded by the great couple Von Manstein Guderian

If you want more information just ask me

Der WanderTOAWAssistant
        The Best weapon ever:a good Joke. The Best shield ever: Humour
        JLBETIN© Aka Der Wanderer TOAW Section Leader is a █ WHQ/SZO/XG/Gamesquad® product since 01/2003
        The Birth of European Army Tournament round Three is opened

Comment

• Try " The Last Valley" by Martin Windrow...its all about the French and the fall of Dien Bien Phu....great story and you can see how America got sucked into Vietnam.

When I lived in France a buddy of mine , Serge a vet of 2 REP, would shut his bar on the 7 May and he and his mates and a few of us other special selected persons would commemorate the fallen of the Legion, Colonial Paras, Vietnamese Paras and everybody else involved....very memorable and very , very drunk.

They still do, as if I am in France during that date I still join them.

Bow on the island

per ardua ad astra

Comment

• Currently reading, "Bitter Glory: Poland and it's Fate, 1918-1939", by Richard M Watt.

Excellent read so far and it is quite enlightening to see how a country that had such promise at its rebirth effectively sabotaged it own existence through gross errors in judgement, bad polticss, pettiness, imperialism and a host of other foibles. One could almost say that Poland of the 1920s was the architect of its own defeat in the late 30s.
            The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• "Rogue Regime" 'And the Looming Threat of North Korea'.

Mark
              Deo Vindice
              Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you want peace, prepare for war.)

Comment

• Currently reading, "Five Years, Four Fronts." By Georg Grossjohann.

Comment

• Just got from the Library

Okinawa 1945

by Dr.T.M. Huber

Large format hardback.

Looks pretty good and done with plenty of pics, maps and diagrams.

TBH whether I get the chance to read it cover to cover is another story but I'll give it a good browse before I bring it back!
                  http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

• Just finished " The French Foriegn Legion " by Douglas Porch

Good coverage of The Legion from its conception ...a vacation book as it is thick with small print.

Bow on the island

per ardua ad astra

Comment

• For french readers only.
                      2 good articles in "Vae Victis #62 mai-juin 2005" :
                      Ecole de guerre : L'Art opératif (for toaw newbies AND others)
                      Art de la guerre : Les blindés français 1940.
                      Unie dans la diversité

Comment

• Found a couple of gems at the Yale bookstore

These are both softcover "How To's".

1)Combat Leader's Field Guide (13th Ed) - Brett Stoneberger
                        ISBN 0-8117-3195-2

2)Military Strategy - John. M. Collins
                        ISBN 1-57488-430-1

Simply fantastic both of them. The field guide is the squad leaders basic how to, 13th edition started in 1956. Very interesting and up to date. Military strategy is also great, 32 years of work distilled into it with historical examples and a real world application at the end (Kosovo).

I didn't know any of this stuff. One of many reasons why I suck as a wargamer.
                        Conscription if necessary, but not necessarily conscription. -William Lyon MacKenzie King

Comment

• I'm almost done with Glantz's "Colussus Reborn". I'm also trying to read the second volume of "Das Deutsche Reich und der Zweite Weltkrieg", but I don't think my German is good enough.
                          "The legitimate object of war is a more perfect peace." General William T. Sherman , 20 July 1865

Comment

• I'm currently starting the wartime memoirs of the most famous stuka ace of ww2, Heinz Ulrich Rudel, (Finnish translation), the original german language edition is called:

Mein Kriegstagenbuch.
                            copyright Limes Verlag 1983.

A very straightforward telling of the story of a very skilled and lucky man, who fought all the way through the Eastern Front, and did some serious damage to the enemy, and had a naturally incredible skill. A good read, I recommend it.

As, Im back onto the Eastern front after a long sojourn with the 'Western Allies'.

My next book will be 'The road to Stalingrad' by John Erickson.

Ps. If anybody is in the know about a good book about the Eastern front from a Russian author (Preferrably more toward the 'big picture' of things), please let me know.

I have been asking the Akademik bookshop in Helsinki but all they are good at is shrugging their shoulders, and I'm not ordering blind again, I got a very dissapointing picture book about Op Desert Storm for almost 35 Euro doing that!

(P.S. any good after analysis / action report, sort of book about the actual fighting, when Afganistan and Iraq were taken, with air aspects and all... please help me, I'm down to googling away from the net to get good after action reports about the various battles of even Desert strorm)!

Yours Truly: Mr Poundr.
                            "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Curious George .... j/k

I am reading the following books atm:

Keegan's World War I
                              19 Stars (Finished reading about the Generals, now
                              just finishing up the last portion about traits)
                              Napoleon's Campaigns - David Chandler
                              "When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches." - Admiral King

Comment

• Originally posted by vyshka
                                Curious George .... j/k

I am reading the following books atm:

Keegan's World War I
                                19 Stars (Finished reading about the Generals, now
                                just finishing up the last portion about traits)
                                Napoleon's Campaigns - David Chandler
                                I have read most of Keegan's WW1, and I think it's very well written.

I'm a (many book's at a time reader), so I havent finished it yet, but I'm pretty far, and I can say that appart from John Mosier's : 'The myth of the great war', which was so good because of it's fresh approach in looking at the war to end all wars (Although I agree with the critics that he goes too far in his conlusions about the 1918 battles).

Otherwize, I have never read a book on ww1 (I have read four before Keegan's), that is so well written, I give it full marks!

p.s.

if you are looking for an 'alternative wiew of ww1, the Mosier book will certainly make you think about it in a new way. (Well it made me do so anyway).
                                Good readings!

Mr poundr.
                                "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X