X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MarkV
    replied
    The Warlord and the Renegade, Wylie. About Herman and Albert Goering. Two brothers with a Jewish godfather who followed very different paths. One who commanded the Luftwaffe and was heavily implicated in the holocaust and one who helped the Czech resistance and numbers of Jews to escape

Leave a comment:

• R.N. Armstrong
    replied
    Been reading books(including Aristotle's critique of Plato's Republic) on the influence of ancient Greeks and Romans who influenced the Founding Fathers in developing a constitutional democracy.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Physical Geology

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    A Death in White Bear Lake by Barry Seigel. Not very far in, but a fascinating study of the reopening of a 21 year old homicide.

Before that, The Outsider by Stephen King, which I found rather flat.

Leave a comment:

• Bwaha
    replied
    Well I'm reading some Clive Cussler pulp but what I'm listening to is Starship Troopers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g27OG89i8Ww&t=5774s

Leave a comment:

• R.N. Armstrong
    replied
    Just finished Nathaniel Philbrick's Bunker Hill: A City, A Siege, A Revolution. Well researched, well written--reads like a novel. I've ordered another book by the author, The Last Stand: Custer, Sitting Bull and the Battle of the Little Bighorn--looking to see what he finds in the personalities (like he did in Bunker Hill).

Leave a comment:

• Martok
    replied
    Recently finished reading this: Area X: The Southern Reach Trilogy: Annihilation; Authority; Acceptance

51f%2BMOTspjL._SX374_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Good book. Suffers from being a bit plodding at times, but worth reading through. The movie "Annihilation" starring Padme Thor's Girlfriend was based on book one of the trilogy. "Annihilation" was actually a decent movie, but of course more enjoyable if you had first read the book.
    Last edited by Martok; 27 Aug 18, 13:34.

Leave a comment:

• GCoyote
    replied
    Niall Ferguson's The Ascent of Money.
    War is after all very expensive.

Leave a comment:

• Greybriar
    replied
    I have finished The President Is Missing and am now reading The First Confessor: The Legend of Magda Searus by Terry Goodkind.

Leave a comment:

• MarkV
    replied
    Originally posted by Greybriar View Post

No. Although it's not a book that reads like it was written by a former President of the United States. Or perhaps I was expecting too much.
    The BBC review gave it half a star out of five.

Leave a comment:

• Greybriar
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkV View Post

Do you need someone to throw you a lifeline?
    No. Although it's not a book that reads like it was written by a former President of the United States. Or perhaps I was expecting too much.

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    Re-reading my series on the Marine Corps by WEB Griffith.

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• MarkV
    replied
    Originally posted by Greybriar View Post
    I am a hundred pages into The President Is Missing by Bill Clinton and James Patterson.
    Do you need someone to throw you a lifeline?

Leave a comment:

• Greybriar
    replied
    I am a hundred pages into The President Is Missing by Bill Clinton and James Patterson.

Leave a comment:

• Capt AFB
    replied
    Just finished "Hell Island" by Dan McCaffery.

The book covers the air battle over Malta in 1942.

Although the subtitle mentions Canadian pilots, the author does not only focus on Canadians and fighter pilots. It is well-researched and covers German, Italian, Commonwealth and Maltese aspects of the battle - fighters, bombers, reconnaissance, convoys, submarine warfare, living conditions on the island etc

Highly recommended for anyone interested in WW2 air war.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X