This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Legate View Post
    Please let me know your're impressions of this book. I've been looking for a quality bio of Phillip for a long time.
    It'll have a review on the ACG front page.
    AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• Watchmen by Alan Moore
      "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
      "

Comment

• It's about time...

Originally posted by ace View Post

Watchmen by Alan Moore
        It's about time people started to read his book. Thank God it looks like the movie will come through. It was supposed to be released 10 years ago!

I got the book in 1991, I was 11, and over the years I've only had to replace it once.

Greatest work of fiction ever created...
        "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• Steel My soldiers Hearts...Hawkworth. I've read others comments and was tempted. He was in the AO near and shortly after where a friend of mine died in 12/68.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
            It's about time people started to read his book. Thank God it looks like the movie will come through. It was supposed to be released 10 years ago!

I got the book in 1991, I was 11, and over the years I've only had to replace it once.

Greatest work of fiction ever created...
            It was truly an epic work
            "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
            "

Comment

• Right now I'm reading Fortunes Favorite by Collen McCullough but I've been thinking about grabbing my copy of Watchmen and reading it again before the movie opens.
              "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• I read the book 'Retribution' by Max Hastings, and it was top quality!

The story of the war against japan in 1944 to 45 is well written, full of detail without becoming tedious, and has a way of bringing up vivid imagery to the reader. It also has good info, especially when having read the book 'Eagle against the sun', which is a classic recording the whole war of the US against imperian Japan. One get's the feeling that Hasting has written a masterpiece!

I rank it aside the landmark modern military history books that combine a flowing narrative with personal accounts, and just enough details about various statistics so that one doesnt get the feeling the book is too 'academic' in style.

Similar books are,

Stalingrad. By: Anthony Beevor
                and
                D day. By: Stephen Ambrose

I would put 'Retribution' right aside those books.
                "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Horns of the Buffalo;volume one in the Simon Fonthill series by John Wilcox
                  If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• The Man with the Iron Heart, by the Master of Alternate History, Harry Turtledove.

-Alexander

Comment

• I am reading "P.G.T.Beauregard - Napoleon in Grey by T.H.Williams"
                      great book about myself
                      à vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire (triumph without peril brings no glory) P. Corneille

Le probleme avec les cons, c'est qu'il ne se fatiguent jamais
                      (The problem with Pr.cks, is that they never get tired ) Michel Audiard

Comment

• I have been enjoying the 40page lufwafffe special in the last 'Flypast magazine', and also Shooting illustrated and American handgunner, all of which I subscribe.

Exellent reading, only the gun mags make me feel frustrated to the brim, as I cannot just go and get the various products beign reviewed and advertized.

you US guys should count yerself lucky! Mr poundr....

Merry christmas and a happy new year!
                        Attached Files
                        "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton, part one of the Void Trilogy.

these are the sequel to his excellent earlier books of the Commonwealth saga (Pandora's Star/ Judas Unchained) which are, quite simply, the best books i have ever read.

highly recommended.
                          Death is more universal than life; everyone dies, not everyone lives.

Comment

• I just finished....

and started.....

Comment

• Just finished this alternate history novel. Moved along quite nicely. I'm looking forward to the next book.

Have also got about halfway through this. A very good book!
                              Mountains Touched With Fire
                              Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• State of Fear by Michael Crichton

I have no idea why it took me so long to get around to reading this book...Debunking global warming with guns, enviormarxist terrorists and lots of footnotes to real scientific papers shooting down every word Al Gore has ever spoken or written.
                                Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X