This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
    I'm reading "Hitler's Armada" by Geoff Hewitt. It's all about Operation Sealion and Great Britain's attempt to thwart Hitler's invasion plans of the UK. Excellent reading so far, but nothing that I didn't already know from reading the old Sealion thread.
    Now THAT sounds interesting John, must try to get it, Not just full of high tech: facts and figures I hope!
    'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
    " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• Does sound interesting, is it a find in a book store or order it?

BTW please never mention the sealion thread ever again...
      Life is Expensive Bullets are cheap anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.Me
      I'm not lying I'm Just Improving the truth

Comment

• Right now I'm reading For the Common Defenseby Allen R. Millett and Peter Maslowski. It's a military history of the United States. It's main focus that I'm getting is that it is more stratigical and political rather than a detailed account of every battle. It's broad but a very good read.

Comment

• Reading Dudley Pope's "Decision at Trafalgar". Well written, narrative flows with useful and entertaining naval detail for the period. Good fast read, highly recommend it. Apparently, it is one of the Heart of Oak Sea Classics.
          Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
            I'm reading "Hitler's Armada" by Geoff Hewitt. It's all about Operation Sealion and Great Britain's attempt to thwart Hitler's invasion plans of the UK. Excellent reading so far, but nothing that I didn't already know from reading the old Sealion thread.
            How intriguing that both you and our old friend Duke William should be reading the same book at the same time. Separated at birth were we?Never seen in the same place at the same time?
            Signing out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Full Monty View Post
              How intriguing that both you and our old friend Duke William should be reading the same book at the same time. Separated at birth were we?Never seen in the same place at the same time?
              Hopefully one of them doesn't dress up as their dead mother...
              If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

• Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
                Hopefully one of them doesn't dress up as their dead mother...
                Cue strings!
                Signing out.

Comment

• Has anyone read the book, (cant remember the name) its by Lt. Compton from easy company about his time before during and after the war?
                  Life is Expensive Bullets are cheap anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.Me
                  I'm not lying I'm Just Improving the truth

Comment

• The book I am reading American Spartans, a history of the U.S Marine Corps. The author call the Sherman medium tank a steel behemoth. I find this puzzling due to the fact that the Sherman was relatively small compared to its Russian and German counterparts.
                    ďCome and take it!"

Comment

• The Grass Crown by Colleen McCullough.
                      "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Brave Men
                        by
                        Ernie Pyle

Good stuff about the mountain fighting, he even mentions a 1/504 Captain by full name and address...
                        "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
                          Brave Men
                          by
                          Ernie Pyle

Good stuff about the mountain fighting, he even mentions a 1/504 Captain by full name and address...
                          Well dang and gosh gee, that makes it a classic all by itself
                          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

• The Landmarkd Thucyddides Edited by Robert Strassler

Extensive foot and margin notes along with eleven scholarly essays on various aspects of greek life and warfare to put the narrative in context. Also has a concluding epilogue as the original literally stops mid sentence only twenty years into the 27 year war.
                            Boston Strong!

Comment

• Originally posted by Half Pint View Post

Well dang and gosh gee, that makes it a classic all by itself
                              I never got to know my grandparents, so when I find a writer who was in the area of either one, I buy their books and read them. And when I read something random (as in this case), and just happen to find that kind of info, it makes me happy.

My bad...
                              "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• 'The Wehrmacht: History, Myth, Reality' by Wolfram Wette.
                                Signing out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X