This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• A fascinating take on pre-colonial America. Much like modern Thailand, the Iroquois were masters at playing the French and British against each other to (somewhat) maintain their own identity.
      All questions are valid, all answers are tentative.

Comment

• Eats, shoots & leaves

But I just can't memorise those things. A good book still.
        Wisdom is personal

Comment

• Just finished "In the Name of Rome: The Men Who Won The Roman Empire" by Adrian Goldsworthy.

It's a profile of Romes greatest generals from the Republic to the Empire.
          "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Im still reading My Dickens Books, im on bleak house right now but it is so hard to start.
            Life is Expensive Bullets are cheap anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.Me
            I'm not lying I'm Just Improving the truth

Comment

• "The Line Upon A Wind: The Great War at Sea 1793-1815 by Noel Mostert

One more comprehensive study of the Naval dimension of the Napoleonic War s including the War of 1812.

From the jacket flap: "The thrilling story of Britain's Death-Struggle with Revolutionary France, where-in Napoleon is checkmated by Nelson's brilliant naval exploits."

Not exactly leading me to expect fair and balanced but then I am an anglophile anyway.
              Boston Strong!

Comment

• This is probably the best Book on Diem that has been written in English. The author used a lot of sources that you just don't find in other works on Diem and Nhu or that period.
                Last edited by Miss Saigon; 30 Sep 08, 23:14.

Comment

• Soldier Sahibs: The Daring Adventurers Who Tamed India's Northwest Frontier

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• First Man In Rome by Colleen McCullough.

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Reading 'The longest day' for perhaps the third or fourth time! The style is so readable and the various facts put me straight back there every time!!If you have only seen the film, read the book it puts it in an even clearer light! (By Cornelious Ryan.)
                      Last edited by lcm1; 08 Oct 08, 02:29.
                      'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                      " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                        First Man In Rome by Colleen McCullough.
                        Great book,it is the first book I read dealing with Rome. I still haven't finished the series yey,but the first three books are great.
                        If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• Excellent book! Large segments of the book are accounts from the fellas fighting over there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Biscuit View Post

Excellent book! Large segments of the book are accounts from the fellas fighting over there.
                            No sarcasm intended but promise me that they do not act like they were the only ones inthe war and I will read it by all means.
                            'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• is cocky-ness what makes Americans who we are though?
                              Life is Expensive Bullets are cheap anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.Me
                              I'm not lying I'm Just Improving the truth

Comment

• Originally posted by Patton 7079 View Post
                                is cocky-ness what makes Americans who we are though?
                                Yes, I suppose so. It is what you are noted for anyway! Cheers.
                                'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X