X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Revolution of Nihilism: Warning to the West by Hermann Rauschning

Comment

• Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army, by Jeremy Scahill.

A good book, exposes much of the amoral and alegal actions of Blackwater and other similar organizations, though half the reason that Mr. Scahill hates Blackwater is simply because Erik Prince and other members are "Catholics" (note the quotation marks---many of their actions are opposed to Catholic teaching). Thus, in total, about 5 pages of the book are devoted to blasting Catholics for opposing abortion, gay marriage, and being "right-wing." Sorry Mr. Scahill; if you're going to write a book about Blackwater, write it about Blackwater and not about how much you hate true Catholic teachings and positions.

Anyway, a good book and very interesting.

Alex
      CC

Comment

• Originally posted by CatholicCrusade View Post
        Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army, by Jeremy Scahill.

A good book, exposes much of the amoral and alegal actions of Blackwater and other similar organizations, though half the reason that Mr. Scahill hates Blackwater is simply because Erik Prince and other members are "Catholics" (note the quotation marks---many of their actions are opposed to Catholic teaching). Thus, in total, about 5 pages of the book are devoted to blasting Catholics for opposing abortion, gay marriage, and being "right-wing." Sorry Mr. Scahill; if you're going to write a book about Blackwater, write it about Blackwater and not about how much you hate true Catholic teachings and positions.

Anyway, a good book and very interesting.

Alex
        CC
        If he is so rabid in his anticatholicism and views Blackwater as an organization shaped by catholics, I would then have to wonder about his intellectual honesty with respect to the subject matter.

Comment

• Third Reich Victorious: Ten Dnamic Scenarios in which Hitler Win The War
          Good book the chapters that I've read so far are realistic and seemed very possible somtimes I forget I'm reading a fictional book.
          2013 I'm going into West Point if it kills me. 2017 (or 2012 depending on West Point) I'm joining the Airborne if it kills me and it actually might.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gidia View Post
            Third Reich Victorious: Ten Dnamic Scenarios in which Hitler Win The War
            Good book the chapters that I've read so far are realistic and seemed very possible somtimes I forget I'm reading a fictional book.
            Great read. Peter Tsouras is one of the best "alt.history" writers. He is a good historian as well.
            If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• Drums In The Forest: Decision At The Forks, Defense In The Wilderness
              This focuses on the Seven Years' War forts built in PA in defense of the frontier, and during the campaigns to capture the forks of the Ohio.
              "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Comment

• "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Comment

• Dilemmas of the Desert War-The Libyan Campaign 1940-1942 by Field Marshal Sir Michael Carver. This book was recomended by some members of this forum,good read so far.
                  If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• Kazakhstan: Unfulfilled Promise
                    And it's over the mountain and over the Main,
                    Through Gibralter, to France and Spain.
                    Pit a feather tae your bonnet, and a kilt aboon your knee,
                    Enlist my bonnie laddie and come awa with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tankboy View Post
                      Kazakhstan: Unfulfilled Promise
                      Let me know if this is a good book. I may want to read it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
                        Good so far, about halfway through it now. Mainly it talks about how Nazarbayev failed Kazakhstan in their move towards democracy.
                        And it's over the mountain and over the Main,
                        Through Gibralter, to France and Spain.
                        Pit a feather tae your bonnet, and a kilt aboon your knee,
                        Enlist my bonnie laddie and come awa with me.

Comment

• Its a pretty easy read. He's an honest upfront fella and has said some things I hadn't read before.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
                            I read it some time ago, in Russian though. Mostly it looks as quite deep insight in local social life. Unfortunately, the author could not avoid some stereotypes IMO. However, she honestly showed her surprise when her research results do not match those stereotypes. The author usually did not bother to find any explanation for such controversies, and left some "unsuitable" facts out - it spoiled my impression a little bit. But in general I do not know better research in English on this topic. Even if now it is outdated a little perhaps.

Comment

• Reading this again:

I always wanted to write a book "Outside Delta Force" just to complement.

In case you don't know this book, apart from the title and some herouserment inside it is full of military detail that most people on this forum will find valuable.

Comment

• Originally posted by HiredGoon View Post
                                Drums In The Forest: Decision At The Forks, Defense In The Wilderness
                                This focuses on the Seven Years' War forts built in PA in defense of the frontier, and during the campaigns to capture the forks of the Ohio.
                                I'll have to pick that one up!

Currently reading:

Blue at the Mizzen, by Patrick O'Brian.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X