This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wolfe Tone
    Always meant to read that. I remember there was a copy in my parents house.

Is it good?
    Yes, very. Set about 25 years after the Boxer Rebellion the book follows Jake Holman as he serves aboard the San Pablo (the crew are nicknamed the Sand Pebbles) an American gunboat that is patrolling the Hunan region. It can be a hard read for some considering that there are racist atitudes amoung the American crew towards the Chinese who assist in running the boat. There was a movie made of the book that starred Steve McQueen.

Comment

I'm vacillating about weather to start 'The order of the deaths head' by Höhn, a six hundred page classic on the ss, or 'The Road to Stalingrad' by John Ericson, or 'Air Power' by Stephen Budiansky...

???

Any suggestions, is the classic over six hundred page long story of the SS still a good read, or was it a classic because it was one of the first objective looks at the whole SS 'corporation'?

I will anyway 'nibble' at a little paper back for variety as I do, and I have John Simpsons: 'The wars against Saddam, taking the hard road to baghdad'

Simpson, John: chief of BBC foreign correspondents I belive, and lives in Pakistan, with his wife, if my memory serves me correctly, got almost killed by friendly fire j-dam in the last Iraq war, a man who knows what he talks about, and write's with a sence of humour always looming behind it all, as if saying, please dont be so awfully serious, I cant anymore anyway...

His last book: 'It's a mad world my masters' was a wonderful collection of funny, and yet nailbitingly thrilling stories of how he has managed by somekind of higher intervention, to survive he's last twenty years career, a great read I recommend it. Here is a journalist who says it straight, disagree or agree, but he is honest in his writing.
      "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Don Maddox
        The Bear and the Dragon, Tom Clancy.
        My dad read that recently,he said he enjoyed it.

I am currently reading:

Passing of the Armies-Chamberlain
        Gettysburg-Newt Gingrich
        and for school:The Good Earth
        Next up:
        Hardtack and Cofee
        Grant Comes East
        April 1865
        Charlie was a chemist,but Charlie is no more,
        What Charlie thought was H20,was H2S04

Comment

'The Road to Stalingrad' by John Ericson

A bit on the dry side. I read it through but that was only because I forked out good money for a copy.

That being said Ericson did a lot of research from the Soviet side so there is plenty of detail that you wouldn't get in works published in the West prior to this book.

Hope that helps.
          http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfe Tone
            Must admit I tend to be reading a number of books at any one time.

Right now...

Irish Kings and High Kingsby FJ Byrne

Karl Marx by Francis Whelan

The Battle of New York by Barnet Schecter

The Lordship of Ireland in the Middle Ages by James Lydon

+ browsing through any number of others as occasion demands.
            Wolfe, Eric probably has some good insight on the Schecter book as he was taken by the author on a guided tour of the battlefields in question about 1-2 months ago..........
            Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Bought a few today at a garage sale.

A MAN CALLED INTREPID (THE SECRET WAR)INTELLIGENCE OPERATIONS IN WWII.

THROUGH BLOOD AND FIRE (SELECTED CW PAPERS OF JOSHUA CHAMBERLAIN)

THE BATTLE FOR OKINAWA (A JAPANESE OFFICERS EYEWITNESS ACCOUNT)

CRUSADE (THE UNTOLD STORY OF THE PERSIAN GULF WAR)

UTMOST SAVAGERY (THE THREE DAYS OF TARAWA)

All hardbacks for a buck apiece.........hard to turn down.

Mark
              Deo Vindice
              Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you want peace, prepare for war.)

Comment

Just finished "First In: An Insider's Account of How the CIA Spearheaded the War on Terror in Afghanistan" and now reading "Secret Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines with the Elite Warriors of SOG">
                Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

The Air Campaign by John A. Warden III

Comment

Im re - reading Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. An excellent read.
                    No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair.
                    -Gen. George S. Patton

Comment

• Originally posted by Lance Williams
                      Wolfe, Eric probably has some good insight on the Schecter book as he was taken by the author on a guided tour of the battlefields in question about 1-2 months ago..........
                      Thanks Lance. I've been in contact with Eric on this.

Comment

• Just been to the Dublin Book Fair and picked up a few volumes.

Irish Sagas, Ed. by Miles Dillon. (4 Euro)

Tells the story behind 12 Ancient Sagas of Ireland.

The Years of the Great Test 1926-39, Ed. by Francis MacManus. (3 Euro)

The story of the Irish Free State in those years. Intersting if your interested ( I am!)

The above two in paperback and hard to find now. Published back in the 60's and 70's they owe their origin to a series of Lectures on RTE (Irish Radio) starting back in 1953 when many of Ireland's leading Historians lectured on the airwaves on various aspects of Ireland's History.

Main buy ( I was looking for a copy as I went in) was:

A History of Medieval Ireland by Edmund Curtis. (25 Euros )

First published in 1923 this is the updated edition of 1938.

Doubt it will ever be published again unless at an astronomical price so I think it was money well spent.

Covers the History of Ireland from circa 1000 A.D. until 1513.

Curtis was a leading Nationalist Historian of his day and this is one of his major works.

Comment

• Can anyone here recommend a good book on the Knights Templar?

Mark
                          Deo Vindice

Comment

• Just finished The Sand Pebbles and am starting to read "Blind Man's Bluff" The untold story about submarine espionage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priest
                              ... am starting to read "Blind Man's Bluff" The untold story about submarine espionage.
                              I read this some years ago and still think that it is amazing. Have fun reading it.

Oliver
                              Elfen haben doofe Ohren.

Comment

• Right at the moment............."Liberalism is a Mental Disorder" by Michael Savage.
                                The main reason I bought this book was from the title of the first chapter.......talking about the war in Iraq it was named "More Patton, Less Patent Leather.

Mark
                                Deo Vindice

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X