Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow. Your grampa was in Sicily assault, that's so cool. Were did he go next?
    All warfare is based on deception.
    Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

• After Sicily, Paul Sr. went to the bar!

Originally posted by Cap. Teancum View Post

Wow. Your grampa was in Sicily assault, that's so cool. Were did he go next?
      He made the 4 jumps, Sicily, Salerno, Normandy, and Holland. I've put a couple threads up on ACG with some of his information. Here's some links so I don't clutter up this thread.

Paul Mann WWII Stuff Thread Link

504th Parachute Infantry in the Battle of the Bulge Thread Link
      "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• Thanks mate, I'm all over it.

Comment

• An easy read. It's tangentally related to military history. Some of the essays discuss how Judo developed from the Jujutsu used in combat by Samurai into a form of physical and moral education.
          AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
          The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• Right now I'm reading American Military History Volume 1: 1775-1902. I don't know if I'll read Vol 2 right after because I've been having a craving for ancient Greece.

Comment

• I've just started digging into The War Managers by Gen. Douglas Kinnard.

Pretty interesting read. He sent a questionnaire to all general officers who served in Vietnam and this book is the result of that research.

Still working my way through Battlecry of Freedom by McPherson as well. Just getting to Lee's invasion of the north in the summer of '63.

Speaking of ACW, anyone know a good book about the Vicksburg campaign or about the raid conducted by Union Cavalry officer Benjamin Grierson as a part of that campaign?
              "When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches." - Admiral King

Comment

• AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• Finished "Death Of The Wehrmacht", thought it was great.
                  Also finished "Stalingrad: How The Red Army Survived The German Onslaught"- excellent also, really enjoyed it.
                  "Ultimately communism is an impossible Utopian dream imposed by hypocrites who will commit mass murder to achieve absurd goals"- Trebuchet

Comment

• A biography of Nicholas Tesla, the electrical genius and inventor.
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• Right now I'm about 2/3 of the way through Iron Arm: The Mechanization of Mussolini's Army, 1920-1940, by John Joseph Timothy Sweet. I'm loving it!!! It's a great book for anyone interested not only in Italian tanks and why the Italian armored units ultimately failed as an effective fighting force in WWII, but also for anyone interested in interwar tank development and the development of armored doctrine right before WWII. I'm going to try to buy the book Iron Hearts, Iron Hulls, which deals with the actual combat performance of Italian tanks, sometime in the near future, or at least I'm hoping to.

Also reading some misc. articles on current economic events, Catholic history and social thought, and military history (of course). Some time soon I hope to start Villehardouin and de Joinville's Chronicles of the Crusades, which should tie in with my upcoming Medieval Year in school.

Regards,
                      Alex
                      CC

Comment

• This is pretty good so far.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Finito Benito.

Comment

• For the thrid time I am reading...

Virgil Earp: Western Peace Officer

Love those Earps...
                            Publisher
                            Armchair General Magazine
                            Weider History Group

Comment

• Wow, you really must be into westerns.
                              Loved your pics from Tombstone. Looks like you had a great time there.
                              Did any of the movies made justice to the real deal?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cap. Teancum View Post
                                Wow, you really must be into westerns.
                                Loved your pics from Tombstone. Looks like you had a great time there.
                                Did any of the movies made justice to the real deal?
                                The movie "Tombstone" starring Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer is probably the best.

It has some factual errors...mainly at the end during the "Vendetta Ride"...they made this very exaggerated to the point of being silly.

But the rest of the movie does a great job of getting most of the facts basically correct and a superb job on the various characters.
                                Publisher
                                Armchair General Magazine
                                Weider History Group

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X