Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• Was looking for an insight but I'm finding it a bit poor. Not sure what I was expecting but this isn't it.

I'll persevere between nappy changes and feeds though, see how it pans out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fodder76 View Post
        Was looking for an insight but I'm finding it a bit poor. Not sure what I was expecting but this isn't it.

I'll persevere between nappy changes and feeds though, see how it pans out.
        I put it down after a short while, too.

Same for "A Stranger to Myself".

Now I'm reading that book by the artillery observer in Mortain 1944, what was the title. A little slow start, I hope it gets better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redwolf View Post
          I put it down after a short while, too.

Same for "A Stranger to Myself".

Now I'm reading that book by the artillery observer in Mortain 1944, what was the title. A little slow start, I hope it gets better.
          Yeah, I'll probably switch to the other SS memoir I picked up

Twilight of the Gods: A Swedish Waffen-SS Volunteer's Experiences with 11th SS-Panzergrenadier Division Nordland, Eastern Front 1944-45 - Thorolf Hillblad

I had a quick skim, it appears to be full of very un-PC terminology and unabashed nazi polemic. I'll just need to remember my Nietzsche...
          Whoever battles with monsters had better see that it does not turn him into a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Comment

• Great book so far!

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Just about finished with The Last Lion - Visions of Glory, Manchester's first part bio series of Churchill. Most excellent. To borrow a phrase, he does weave quite a tapestry rich with background and players.
              I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• Devils In Baggy Pants

I grew up with this book in my house. My Grampa bought one right after WWII, I believe in 1946, but maybe 1947. My Dad kept it for the last 20 years or so. I bought a brand new hardback copy a few years ago, just to spare the old copy any more abuse until I hand it down to my daughter on her her way to West Point in 15 years.

My Grandma sent me this copy recently. It's a 1957 edition. To me, it's priceless.

"This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• Currently reading:Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy

Just finished: Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides, an excellent book.

Comment

• Just finished :Killing Rommel by Pressfield

Currently: Bataan-our last ditch

Comment

• Just finished "Harvest of Despair:Life and Death in Ukraine under Nazi Rule" by Karel Berkhoff. Very good book.
                      Just started "Death of the Wehrmacht" by Citino, so far it's excellent.
                      "Ultimately communism is an impossible Utopian dream imposed by hypocrites who will commit mass murder to achieve absurd goals"- Trebuchet

Comment

• Just began James Hornfischer's Ship of Ghosts: The Story of the USS Houston, FDR's Legendary Lost Cruiser, and the Epic Saga of Her Survivors
                        Bill

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy"

Billy Currington

Comment

• Dreadnought to be followed by Castles Of Steel by R. K. Massie

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• I am reading "A Voyage Long and Strange" by Tony Horwitz.

Just finished "Wiser in Battle" by LTG Ricardo Sanchez.

Also "War and Decision" by Douglas Feith.

And the wonderfully insightful and entertaining "Looking for Trouble" by Ralph Peters.

Publisher
                            Armchair General Magazine
                            Weider History Group

Comment

• Christianity and War: And Other Essays Against the Warfare State by Laurence Vance.

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Comment

• I'm still reading The Day of Battle whenever I manage to escape from the mandatory PhD readings. I'm now reading a portuguese book written in 1898 about the spanish-american war.
                                All warfare is based on deception.
                                Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X