Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A friend gave me the first four volumes of Churchill's The Second World War. They're probably 30 years old and badly beaten up. But he said that they belonged to his father and he couldn't bear to toss them out. So, he gave them to me.

AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• Originally posted by HiredGoon View Post
      A Hessian Diary of the American Revolution by Johann Conrad Dohla.

That looks very interesting. I'm on the search for it now.
      Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• A Savage War of Peace - Algeria 1954-1962 by Alistair Horne

Superb. Recently re-published with third preface. I am "reading" the audio unabridged version off of audible.com.

http://www.nybooks.com/shop/product?...roduct_id=5938
        I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

Comment

• Some Golden Harbor by David Drake
            All questions are valid, all answers are tentative.

Comment

• Roskill: Churchill and his admirals. This book was written after Roskill had finished the semi-official War at Sea - 3 volumes (WWII). As such, and he states so himself, he could act a little freer as a writer. Of particular interest is the described conflict arising around the use of the British naval assets during the German build-up towards an invasion of England - Sept. '40. Admiral Forbes, commander of the Home Fleet, was relieved December same year.
              Saving MacArthur - a book series - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ies_rw_dp_labf
              River Wide, Ocean Deep - Operation Sealion - https://www.amazon.com/product-revie...owViewpoints=1

Comment

• Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                A friend gave me the first four volumes of Churchill's The Second World War. They're probably 30 years old and badly beaten up. But he said that they belonged to his father and he couldn't bear to toss them out. So, he gave them to me.
                Congratulations. You should try to get hold of the last two volumes, as well. These books are extremely important as a background for WWII. I have them both in the English and Norwegian editions. For some strange reason the Norwegian (Swedish, too) edition is in 12 volumes. They do handle better that way........ While Churchill generally should be read with some caution the various appendices are valuable.
                Saving MacArthur - a book series - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ies_rw_dp_labf
                River Wide, Ocean Deep - Operation Sealion - https://www.amazon.com/product-revie...owViewpoints=1

Comment

• Just arrived on my doorstep yesterday and I promptly dove right into it. Kaigun; Strategy, Tactics and Technology in the Imperial Japanese Navy 1887-194 by David Evans and Mark Peattie.
                  Bill

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy"

Billy Currington

Comment

• Just started American Gods by Neil Gaiman
                    "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
                    "

Comment

• Comment

• The Divided Ground: Indians, Settlers, and the Northern Borderland of the American Revolution
                        "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Comment

• I just finished reading "See No Evil" by Robert Baer.

This is a personal memoir of a CIA agent disillusioned by the way the CIA handles intelligence gatherng today, specifically in the war on terror, and the direction the agency is headed. He says that the agency is driven today mostly by PC politics and not the need to safe guard the US and its people.

This is a really fascinating book!!

Comment

• Taking a break from military books and reading a bio of my favourite singer/musician/songwritter

Comment

• Steven Erikson: "Reaper's Gale". Epic fantasy, dark and dirty, no cute pointy eared elves in sight.

Andrew Gordon: "The Rules of the Game. Jutland and British Naval Command".

Comment

• I just started reading "A Terrible Glory Custer and the Little Big Horn" by James Donovan. I'm about 70 pages into it, but it already has pulled me in. Good book so far!
                                "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X