Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am reading Final Impact which is the final book in the Axis of Time trilogy by John Burmingham

I was looking everywhere so I could buy it and then I saw it at the library so I got it from the library for 4 weeks.
    "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

• I'm rediscovering Frederick Forsyth, the author who gave us The Day of the Jackal, The Odessa File, and Dogs of War. I have not read him in decades, but have watched the older version movie, Day of the Jackal--absolutely compelling story. Just read his collection of short stories titled, The Veteran. He's an excellent writer and master story teller, so I have picked up some of his more recent works The Fist of God and The Afghan.

rna
      Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• Following a recommendation from rna I'm reading 'Thunder in the East: The Nazi-Soviet War 1941-1945' by Evan Mawdsley. Outside of History I'm also buried in Eric Clapton's autobiography.
        Signing out.

Comment

• War Made New by Max Boot.

Comment

• Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
            I'm rediscovering Frederick Forsyth, the author who gave us The Day of the Jackal, The Odessa File, and Dogs of War.

rna
            My Mother gave me a copy of "Dogs of War," and I've never even looked inside. Is it pretty good?
            "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
              My Mother gave me a copy of "Dogs of War," and I've never even looked inside. Is it pretty good?
              I found the book fascinating on mercenaries in Africa and insights into vulnerabilities of Africans in combat.

rna

Comment

• Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
                I found the book fascinating on mercenaries in Africa and insights into vulnerabilities of Africans in combat.

rna
                Right on. One of my Uncles left the military for a "merc" career, he's the only one of my moms brothers not be a career soldier, and she got the book on his suggestion. I was going to return last week, and forgot. I'm glad I didn't, I'm setting some time aside to give it a serious read. Thanks.

The brother who told my mom to read "Dogs of War" is on the left.
                "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• Forsyth's The Afghan I consider one of his weakest works.
                  It is as if FF was under pressure from his publisher to finish it quickly. Story nor characters nor 'coleure locale' are well developed and at points (e.g. brother of the hero's slip of the tongue) irritatingly similar to his Fist of God.
                  Still a weak book form Forsyth can be very superior to the best many others have written. I look forward to and will buy his next book in hardcover ...(as I have with his previous ones)
                  BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Originally posted by captainsennef View Post
                    Forsyth's The Afghan I consider one of his weakest works.
                    It is as if FF was under pressure from his publisher to finish it quickly. Story nor characters nor 'coleure locale' are well developed and at points (e.g. brother of the hero's slip of the tongue) irritatingly similar to his Fist of God.
                    Still a weak book form Forsyth can be very superior to the best many others have written. I look forward to and will buy his next book in hardcover ...(as I have with his previous ones)
                    CS,

Thanks. When I looked at the promotional paragraph on The Afghan, I thought it had to be a similar storyline to the Fist of God which I am well into now. Much of Forsyth, for me, is in his details of how things work--consquently, the same storyline in a different setting should have different details--as in actual operations. But, don't tell me, leave the drama of finding out.

rna

Comment

• Reading about our own Indochina War for a change:

Comment

• My latest aquisition is US Army AH-1 Cobra Units in Vietnam by Jonathan Bernstein in the Osprey Combat Aircraft series. I bought this book hoping to find infos on the arrival and deployement of the Cobra in Nam for my TOAW scenarios and it went beyond my expectations . It is not much of a technical book, it is rather a narration of the combat actions of the cobra between 1967 and 1973 (Some stories I was not aware of, like the one about a cobra that tried to shoot down a Mig-21 over the A Shau Valley in 1969 - but missing). It has great TOE and orbat infos for wargame designers as well and some 30 superb color profiles for model builders.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
                          Reading about our own Indochina War for a change:

Is it available in English?

Comment

• I have been listening to this one on Audio book for the last several days. It is a venture beyond my usual interests but I must admit I am totally enthralled with this book. It is a macro look at WWII from many different perspectives. I am almost done and I highly recommend it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
                              Is it available in English?
                              I don't think it is Miss, checked Amazon US and they only have the french paperback edition.

Comment

• Finished Decision at Trafalgar and sped through Bourne Supremacy now am reading War of Wars on the Napoleonic War. Gave up on History of the Third Reich until the summer (it is definitely a summer reader). Have had to read Waverly and Robinson Crusoe for my Brit History since 1666 class. Both good reads.

AC
                                "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
                                -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

Working...
                                X