• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Whiterook!!!!!!
    'where da potato at?'
    The Irishman said during the 1845 potato famine

Comment

• Originally posted by MajorSharpe View Post
      Well thank you, my dear Janos. And thank you for offering that you will read my book! It is a fiction. I am doing character bios for it. It is mainly centred around a Corporal James 'Jimmy' Hills a 24 year old from Boston and his best friend PFC David 'Dave' O'Keith, an irish imigrant and the squad's BAR gunner. They are in 1st squad, 2nd Platoon, B Company, 1st Battalion, 116th Regiment, 29th ID. Thanks again Janos!
      I'm looking forward to it!
      Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
      Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
      http://www.mormon.org
      http://www.sca.org
      http://www.scv.org/
      http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

• Just finished Night Stalkers by Michael Durant and Steven Hartov. Still reading PreCalculus. Just started God Created The Integers, edited by Stephen Hawking.

It's been a few years, so I've also dusted off an old friend, Red Storm Rising, and started it again.

Comment

• Originally posted by HiredGoon View Post
          Finished "The Thirty Years' War" and now am starting:

The French Religious Wars 1562-1598 (Osprey Essential Histories)
          Paris is worth a mass.
          I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• History of United States Naval Operations in World War II: Volume I: The Battle of the Atlantic 1939-1943

I am pretty excited about this one. My godfather gave me about 10 of these for Christmas!

Comment

• Dragons of a Fallen Sun (Dragonlance War of Souls vol. I)
              Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Comment

• What God Hath Wrought: By John Howe

Battle Cry of Freedom: James M. McPherson

Books I need to finish reading:

Military Maxims: Napoleon

Ceaser Against the Gauls: Don't remeber the author
                History of War Podcast

Episode 1: Why Study Military History?

Comment

• The Black March by Peter Neumann (1958)

The whole brutal truth. Hitler's schools for atrocity, the personal story of an SS man.

Hitler's Youth were trained to be monsters. the highest honor of a German family was that a son or daughter should be accepted into one of Hitler's youth orginizations. There they learned the techniques of torture, liquidation, and calculated barbarism to Jews and all other enemis of the Third Reich.

Peter Neumann, author of this appalling book, was such a boy. He went on to become a stud in a Nazi breeding station, to fight, kill, loot, rape, mutilate and destroy in the Nazi blood bath that drenched Europe.

"Savage bestiality, an unrelenting account of how vicious men can be!" -Detroit News

"SHOCKING STORY OF NAZI CRUELTIES." - Washington Star
                  "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Iron Brigade View Post
                    Battle Cry of Freedom: James M. McPherson
                    Would you recommend McPherson's work as a solid single volume history of the war? How would it compare to say Bruce Catton's or Shelby Foote's trilogies? The Reason I'm asking is that I am looking for a good overview of the war in order to get my feet wet on the subject of the Civil War.

Comment

• Winner of the prix Renaudot 2004. Not so much about the war itself. The book takes a real biting look at the social structure in France during the German invasion and occupation. I haven't quite finished it but think it may be incomplete. The author wrote the book during the war and died in Auschwitz. It was published posthumously by her daughters who were hidden after her arrest.
                      Last edited by Duncan; 23 Jan 08, 15:02.
                      AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                      The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• I have heard this is a really good book.

Comment

• Sounds like a really original approach Duncan! Let us know what you think at the end, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                            Sounds like a really original approach Duncan! Let us know what you think at the end, please.
                            It was excellent. Turns out that it is incomplete. It's two novels of a planned five. The first novel is about French refugees as the Germans invade. In the second novel they return and live under German occupation. It ends with the declaration of war on Russia and the Germans leaving for the Eastern Front.

The book takes a really caustic view of the French social structure at the time. Every character is a nasty piece of work. It's as if the war causes dissonance with their belief in the rigid structure of their society. Rather than accept change they become, or continue, their selfish hypocracy. They fail to cope. You can see parrallels to French military doctrine, such as the Maginot line and the old guard - rigid/unprepared/refusing to make corrections in its philosophy/unltimately failing in its purpose. But I'm not sure if this is done on purpose. There are no heroes in this book. Just people you want to slap.

It's fiction but like a lot of fiction I think it is meant to cast light on some general truths of the time. It exposes the people, their thoughts, and their behavior. Nemirovsky uses a great deal of contrasting comparisons to highlight her points. The characters judge others by standards they choose not to uphold. They say one thing, act a different way, and justify themselves without seeing the contradiction. It these that'll make you want to slap the characters.

The book is particularly earie when you read the apendixes. The first is a collection of notes she took for the novels. The other is a collection of correspondance. The author dissapears part way through and is replaced by letters about her arrest and trying to find what has become of her.
                            Last edited by Duncan; 24 Jan 08, 12:19.
                            AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                            The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• Currently, it's 'Absolute War: Soviet Russia in the Second World War' by Chris Bellamy.

An excellent book that is long and detailed, yet reads easy and is no challenge for someone who is interested in an authoritative treatment of the eastern front in World War 2.

I plan on following it up with 'Ivan's War: Life and Death in the Red Army, 1939-1945' by Catherine Merridale.

And then I have 'Lenin, Stalin, and Hitler: The Age of Social Catastrophe' by Robert Gellately sitting on my bookshelf waiting to go too.

I dunno why, but I seem to have a strong 'Soviet Union' theme going on right now.

It's because DoD is a COMMIE!

Comment

• Right now I'm reading:

Warhorse: Cavalry in Ancient Warfare by Phillip Sidnell

It covers the use of cavalry by the Greeks and Romans and how that laid the foundation for the medieval knight.
                                "Nations are never content to confine their rivalships and enmities to themselves. It is their usual policy to disseminate them as widely, as they can, regardless how far it may interfere with the tranquility or happiness of the nations which they are able to influence." -- Alexander Hamilton

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X