Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A WAR TO BE WON, forgot who the author was.

Thanks
    Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

Comment

Garmany and the Second World War Volume 6.
      Tank Tactics - Normandy to Lorraine

Thanks
      John

Comment

The Story of the Irish Race - Seamus MacManus
        Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
        (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Just finished "Not A Good Day To Die, The Untold Story of Operation Anaconda".

It's a great book, but after reading it I wanted to E-mail the author and ask "Did the military learn anything from this?". I sure hope they did.
          It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Comment

I have SO many things I should be reading, my bedside table is piled high. But today it's Linn's Stamp News and "The World of Jack Aubrey - Twelve-pounders, Frigates, Cutlasses, and Insignia of His Majesty's Royal Navy", by David Miller.

Tackled the Treaty of Versailles for a bit today but that was a tad heavy
            "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

Comment

Originally posted by Avalon
              I have SO many things I should be reading, my bedside table is piled high. But today it's Linn's Stamp News and "The World of Jack Aubrey - Twelve-pounders, Frigates, Cutlasses, and Insignia of His Majesty's Royal Navy", by David Miller.

Tackled the Treaty of Versailles for a bit today but that was a tad heavy
              Avalon, since you knew who "white devil" was you might like my current read. "White Devil: A True Story of War, Savagery, and Vengeance in Colonial America" by Stephen Brumwell. It's a detailed account of Rogers' Rangers raid on St. Francis............
              Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Almost finished with "In Harms Way".......about the USS Indianapolis.

Mark
                Deo Vindice
                Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you want peace, prepare for war.)

Comment

Originally posted by jorge
                  "Panzer Aces 2" by Franz Kurowski.
                  Worth reading? I have Panzer Aces and found it a bit erratic and not story doesn't "flow" that well. Which ones he covers?

Infantry aces is interesting as well.

Reading: "Elizabeth I", Anne Somerset.

Next: "It never snows in September" Robert J. Kershaw (German view of Market-Garden)
                  I know I should put a witty signature here but I just can't be bothered to.....

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams
                    Avalon, since you knew who "white devil" was you might like my current read. "White Devil: A True Story of War, Savagery, and Vengeance in Colonial America" by Stephen Brumwell. It's a detailed account of Rogers' Rangers raid on St. Francis............
                    Thanks Lance. I've made a note of that one. It looks extremely interesting. I'll have a look around and see if I can get it here but if not, it's pretty easy to find on the web (sometimes cheaper than having the book store order them in too !)

I wish I could find the time to get into all the reading I want to do. (I still have to finish that bounty one and I have an interesting bushranger one that I want to refer to on that thread too at some stage). I've had a lot of luck at the charity shop near me lately - titles such as Anthony Hill's "Soldier Boy" about a Gallipoli soldier; Glassop's "We were the Rats", Moore's 'We were Soldiers Once and Young" and a couple of new ones I'm keen to read - Thomas Flagel's "The History Buff's Guide to the Civil War" (it's like a set of summaries of key events - good for beginners like me), and this one which looks very good (I like personal war stories), Barry Dickens' "Ordinary Heroes - Personal Recollections of Australians at War". I also have my Hornblower ones to yet to read, and for some reason Dostoevsky is still sitting looking at me after a year. Err yep, I have some work to do, that's for sure !

(Definately putting that one on the list Lance, plus I want to follow up on a couple you and the guys mentioned from the Boar War and Zulu War threads.)

Mim
                    "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

Comment

Ha ha,

I am currently reading:
                      - Strange Victory: Hitler's Conquest of France by Ernest R. May.
                      - Sharing Secrets With Stalin: How the Allies Traded Intelligence, 1941-1945 by bradley f smith
                      - Behind the Battle by Ralph Bennett, a book about the western allied intelligence gathering activities(mostly us en uk).

I am sort of reading them all at the time.
                      And the on and of some bits and pieces from other books.
                      Dearest of all my Friends(Vlad in max payne 2)

Comment

Must admit I tend to be reading a number of books at any one time.

Right now...

Irish Kings and High Kingsby FJ Byrne

Karl Marx by Francis Whelan

The Battle of New York by Barnet Schecter

The Lordship of Ireland in the Middle Ages by James Lydon

+ browsing through any number of others as occasion demands.
                        http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

I'm reading BAND OF BROTHERS after that I will start VISIONS FROM A FOXHOLE!

Thanks
                          Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

Comment

Currently "The Sand Pebbles" about American gunboats in China in the early 1900's.

Comment

Currently reading an oooold 10-volume tome on Friedrich the Great (actual spelling) - written in 1912, picked up all ten volumes for under US$20 - good deal
                              Now listening too;
                              - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

Originally posted by Priest
                                Currently "The Sand Pebbles" about American gunboats in China in the early 1900's.
                                Always meant to read that. I remember there was a copy in my parents house.

Is it good?
                                http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Working...
                                X