Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished "The Real Jack the Ripper" by James Tully. Not one of the best Ripper books I've ever read, although his background information is top notch. He just doesn't do a good job of backing up his "pet theory" of the identity of the Ripper.

I'm trying to decide on my next read;

or

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Comment

• Originally posted by Frankenstein View Post

I've run into several ACG members who discount S.L.A.M.'s technical writing....
      "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
        I've run into several ACG members who discount S.L.A.M.'s technical writing....
        I will not read anything he wrote about Vietnam. Not a direct prejudice about him, but I have heard enough bad about his playing fast and loose with the facts that I just as soon read something else. My library is big, time is limited, therefore I don't bother with SLAM.

I vote you read "Ivan's War" because it was written by a women. Not too many war histories by women out there. I would be interested in hearing what you thought about it when you are finished.
        Last edited by Miss Saigon; 02 Oct 07, 13:56.

Comment

• Just finished Inside the Jihad: My life with Al Qeada, A Spy's Story by Omar Nasiri.

Just cranking up Burton: A Biography of Sir Richard Francis Burton, by Byron Farwell.
          I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• Paul Mann III, About SLA Marshall.

I first read him, his "after action book" on Porkchop Hill. I liked it...he did pretty fresh interviews of the particpants. But, and this was 10 years ago or so...I had the occassion to talk with Martin Russ, Korean War Marine Vetran and author of two excellent books, his own memoir, The Last Parallel, and one he did on the Chosin retreat, Breakout?...well Martin relayed some interesting character aspects of SLA and evidently his, SLA's, reputation has been somewhat sullied a great deal in military history circles.

I have read critiques of SLA's work on the web...particularly about one of his, now greatly discounted, theories concerning "use of rifle fire" in WW2 for lack of a better term.
            I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• David Hackworth worked directly with SLAM on his VN war material. He did not say flattering things about Marshall's accuracy and claimed that he met a lot of Vets who were unhappy with Marshall's accounts of them. Hackworth's was the first book on Vietnam I ever read. What Hackworth said convinced me to not spend time reading any Marshall.
              Last edited by Miss Saigon; 03 Oct 07, 23:05.

Comment

• I do recommend his Porkchop hill book/report.

Comment

• Just Finished "Simple Sounds of Freedom" and "One Square Mile of Hell" Now I am Reading George Koskimaki's "Battered Bastards of Bastogne" while at my dorm and "A Blood Dimmed Tide" while at home.

I have had a negative out look on SLAM as well after hearing how inaccurate he was from fellow historians and friends I decided not to read any of his works.

Matt
                  "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
                  -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

• Currently I have cracked open Not A Good Day To Die, by Sean Naylor, about Operation Anaconda., and I'm a little more than halfway through A Bridge Too Far.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
                      David Hackworth worked directly with SLAM on his VN war material. He did not say flattering things about Marshall's accuracy and claimed that he met a lot of Vets who were unhappy with Marshall's accounts of them. Hackworth's was the first book on Vietnam I ever read. What Hackworth said convinced me to not spend time reading any Marshall.
                      Hmmm, I came out of Hackworth entirely differently. What Hackworth said convinced me to not spend time reading any more Hackworth.
                      Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                      Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                      http://www.mormon.org
                      http://www.sca.org
                      http://www.scv.org/
                      http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

• R.N. Armstrong
                        That's an interesting strategy. I balance research reading with a non-fiction book. And, I try to slip in a novel for change of pace(read no- brainer).
                        I do the same.

I am currently reading

'The Making of The Ohio Valley States' written by Sanuel Adams Drake

'The scratch of a Pen' written by Colin G. Calloway

and a no brainer-

'The Dream-Hunter' written by, oh I can't remember...

Comment

• Originally posted by Janos View Post
                          Hmmm, I came out of Hackworth entirely differently. What Hackworth said convinced me to not spend time reading any more Hackworth.
                          Did you read "About Face" or his later works?

Comment

• Originally posted by Redwolf View Post
                            Did you read "About Face" or his later works?
                            I read "About Face" and "Steel My Soldier's Heart"

I think Hackworth did a good job while he confined himself to military subjects but is out of his depth when he make social commentary.

I also think he was probably a geat company and Battalion commander but had less of an understanding of strategic issues.

Comment

• Picked up an ACW book for a change

Comment

• Just finished The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid. It's quite good, but I think his first work (Moth Smoke) was better.
                                "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
                                G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
                                Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X