Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now reading, on audio book, House to House by David Bellavia. Intense!

Staff sergeant Bellavia's account of the fierce 2004 fighting in Fallujah will satisfy readers who like their testosterone undiluted.

"House To House is a terrifically realistic account of the hardest kind of combat known to man. Staff Sergeant Bellavia puts you right there with his men as they see it. This is a must read."
    -- Gunnery Sgt. Jack Coughlin, USMC (Ret.), author of Shooter: The Autobiography of the Top-Ranked Marine Sniper
    I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• Just finished one of the best military history. David Hackett Fischer's "Washington Crossing" won a Pulitzer Prize in History. I won't tell you the ending, but his contrast of Washington's leadership, war councils, and decisions with British has a marvelous effect of putting the reader ahead of the events, as if you are there.

rna
      Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• I just finished Six Days of War: June 1967 and the Making of the Modern Middle East by Michael B. Oren...

Very well researched history that reads as fast as a great Clancy novel.

And I just started The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour by James D. Hornfischer...

I'm only about 20 pages in and I'm hooked.
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

• Just polished off "Hadrian's Empire" (Danzinger and Purcell), "Monty, 1944-45" (by Allister Horne), and "Before Stalingrad" (by Glantz). Now I'm eyes deep in "To Rule the Waves" (Arthur Herman) and "From the Don to the Dnepr, Soviet Offensive Operations, Dec 1942 to August 1943", another of Glantz's work,.

I tend to read two books at a time from different periods,...whatever strikes my fancy for the evening.
          Last edited by The Purist; 18 Sep 07, 20:41.
          The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Purist View Post
            I tend to read two books at a time from different periods,...whatever strikes my fancy for the evening.
            I do the same thing. I usually have two or three going at once so that changes in mood don't lead to not feeling like reading.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
              I do the same thing. I usually have two or three going at once so that changes in mood don't lead to not feeling like reading.
              So there's at least three of us who read more than 1 book at a time. My wife thinks I'm crazy for doing that. I'm currently reading 'Kaiser Wilhelm II-Germany's Last Emperor' by John Van Der Kiste, 'Why The Allies Won' by Richard Overy and 'Grant' by Jean Edward Smith. So two biographies and a WW2 book. Not a bad selection in the bunch I hope. Just got them from the library yesterday and started all three last night. Granted I only read a chapter from each.
              Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Purist View Post
                Just polished off "Hadrian's Empire", "Monty, 1944-45" (by Allister Horne), and "Before Stalingrad" (by Glantz). Now I'm eyes deep in "To Rule the Waves" and "From the Don to the Dnepr, Soviet Offensive Operations, Dec 1942 to August 1943", another of Glantz's work,.

That's an interesting strategy. I balance research reading with a non-fiction book. And, I try to slip in a novel for change of pace(read no- brainer).
                Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
                  Just finished one of the best military history. David Hackett Fischer's "Washington Crossing" won a Pulitzer Prize in History. I won't tell you the ending, but his contrast of Washington's leadership, war councils, and decisions with British has a marvelous effect of putting the reader ahead of the events, as if you are there. rna
                  This coming form you carries weight for me;
                  plus the fact that you mentioned it already a couple of times in passim.
                  BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• The Wizard War by R.V. Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post

Me too

Currently reading:

"Symbol of Courage: The men behind the medal" by Max Arthur
                      "The Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer
                      "Burma: The Longest War" by Louis Allen
                      Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                        And I just started The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour by James D. Hornfischer...

I'm only about 20 pages in and I'm hooked.
                        You've probably heard me say this somewhere before, but that is one of the best books I have ever read on American heroism. When I finished, I was so disappointed at not having more to read that I almost went straight back to the beginning to read it again. Hope you enjoy it, and I hope you all get a chance to read it!
                        To whispers of Beethoven...

"Mein Gott! Die Invasion. Sie kommen!"
                        -Werner Pluskat

Comment

• Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
                          That's an interesting strategy. I balance research reading with a non-fiction book. And, I try to slip in a novel for change of pace(read no- brainer).
                          A copy of some good Military Sci-Fi or Alt History is always hovering about too.
                          The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• Currently:

1. Peiper; Charles Whiting

2. A Forest of Kings, the Untold Story of the Ancient Maya; Linda Schiell and David Friedel

3. The Gila, River of the Southwest; Edwin Corle

4. Tales of HP Lovecraft; HP Lovecraft
                            "Every man should be his own Guru; every woman her own Gurette" ...Ed Abbey

Comment

• Vietnam and the Chinese Model by Alexander Woodside

Gdansk: National Identity in the Polish-german Border Lands by Carl Tighe

Inside American Education by Thomas Sowel

Comment

• "Hitler Strikes Poland" by Alexander Rossino. Excellent so far.
                                "Ultimately communism is an impossible Utopian dream imposed by hypocrites who will commit mass murder to achieve absurd goals"- Trebuchet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X